Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bio
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know what's become of Ray's Biography, Dogs Eat Sweet Grass?? (Manuscript was orginally stolen from 'safekeeping' at a California University 15 plus years ago and Xeroxed, some dozen or so copies.) Any plans for final-form publication someday?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-07-2004).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: 20 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Center for Archival Collections
Rare Books Division
The Ray Bradbury Collection
MS 379

The literary manuscripts, correspondence, and other non-book material in the Ray Bradbury Collection complement the comprehensive Bradbury book collection housed in the Rare Books Division. The materials date from 1936 when Bradbury began writing as a high school student up to the present time and includes manuscripts of many of his novels, short stories, poems, plays and screenplays, as well as notes, letters, recordings, original art, broadsides, photographs, pamphlets, posters, programs, transcripts, periodicals, and tearsheets.
The books and manuscripts of the Bradbury Collection were acquired in 1981 from William F. Nolan, the well-known author of Logan's Run and many other works and a long-time friend of Bradbury. Aided by access to Bradbury's personal files, Nolan spent over thirty-five years assembling the collection.
Photocopying of all manuscript material in the Collection is prohibited. Bradbury's letters may not be quoted without permission of either William Nolan or Ray Bradbury. The Dogs that Eat Sweet Grass may not be quoted without the permission of Mr. Bradbury.
This register was prepared by Nancy Steen, Rare Books librarian in April 1986 and adapted for the World Wide Web in 2001 by Lee N. McLaird, Curator of Rare Books.

SECTION 7 Typed Manuscript (in Xerox):
The Dogs That Eat Sweet Grass (Bradbury's autobiographpy)

Center for Archival Collections, 5th Floor, Jerome Library,
BGSU, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403 +1-419-372-2411 http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/ms0379.html

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone read Bradbury's biography, The Dogs That Eat Sweet Grass. I see by the above posting that it's indeed a rare book.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an academic researcher, I have been able to get access to it. Although often described as an autobiography, it's not. It's actually a transcript of a long interview carried out in the early 60s. Some of the content is similar to other interviews that Ray has given over the years (such as those collected in Conversations With Ray Bradbury), but some of it deals with his detailed techniques of writing and adapting for screen.

My understanding is that the typewritten transcript is the only official version of this, but that somebody once made a book out of it, without RB's permission - in violation of copyright law. In theory, all copies of the book should probably have been destroyed, but no doubt one or two copies still exist somewhere. I've not seen the book, only the typescript.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Teh Bradbury>
posted
BWAHAHAHAHAHA WHADIV YA DON

Reply With QuoteReport This Post