Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Americans out

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americans out
 Login/Join

posted
I was in the middle of writing a Spanish report for class when I recalled the Bradbury story about the American tourists getting stranded in South America. What was the name of it? Did it have something to do with meat? It has to be one of my all-time favorite short stories. It's very representative of how the world views U.S. imperialistic culture (even today.)
TIA

Posts: 3 | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I haven't read it in years, I may be wrong...but is that...The Fox in the Forest...? THAT was a time-travel story...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it was Fox in the Forest, but the basis wasn't time travel- All Americans mysteriously died (I think it presumes a nuclear devastation.) and the rest of the world was rejoicing.

posted Hide Post
The story you are thinking of is "And the Rock Cried Out." It appears in THE VINTAGE BRADBURY, as well as Ray's newly released collection, BRADBURY STORIES.

Incidentally, Ray wrote a film script based on this story for the great British film director, Carol Reed (Reed also directed THE THIRD MAN, among many fine films). Sadly, the script never was filmed...a fate that unfortunately has befallen many of Ray's projects for the screen.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 11-20-2003).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You, Richard !

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS! It was bothering me so much, and it's been on my mind all week. I'd love to see that screenplay resurrected...

posted Hide Post
In an interview in TAKE ONE magazine in the 1970's, Ray commented that he felt that the screenplay's time had probably passed, and that he thought it was unlikely that "And the Rock Cried Out" would ever be filmed.

I speculate that this comment may have been prompted by the fact that the "atomic scare" era was in the 1950's and 1960's (although the threat is still there and very real), and there have been many "nuclear disaster" and "last people on earth" stories and films that have been written and/or released since Ray initially wrote his story and screenplay.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post