Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Just for the record...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just for the record...
 Login/Join

posted
Just for the record... paper will not actually combust at 451 degrees Farenheit. I remember some time a ago there was a thread along the lines of "You know you're a Bradbury fan if..." and someone said "if you've ever put a piece of paper in the oven at 451... just to see what would happen."
Nothing happens, at least not with 20lb, non-glossy, inkjet paper. (pulp might combust at lower temps.) I left the paper in for 455 degrees for quite some time, and all it did was turn brown. Perhaps once the paper is lighted, the flame itself is 451 degrees?

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like one for Mythbusters.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It did when he wrote the book, and it does when I read it. In other words, I fully believe that paper will spontaneously ignite at Fahrenheit 451 degrees with all my heart and soul.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a loyal lad is he.

Say, by the way, somewhere else someone mentioned something about the Mona Lisa. What’s up with her anyway? That gal don’t have no eyebrows!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This could explain it: Recently discovered was a letter by DaVinci to a friend containing this passage:
"...an-a Luigi, you know what else? Yeah, I sold-a da pich! Well, it wasn't quite-a finished around de eyes and-a mouth, but I needed da lira, you know?..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, my point is lost...They may have cheaper, less flame tolerant paper, in the future of Montag's world.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that you Greg? I can't keep up with all of your new "handles" or board names.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's me Flyboy. I'm an enigma even unto myself... Sorry, I'm way too melodramatic for my own good. Yes, Biplane it is little ol' me. I will try to tone down the rediculousness of my tomfoolery. I am going to stick with this handle M.C. as it fits my whole whimsical demeanour much better than the others did. By the way, has anyone looked it up in the dictionary?

posted Hide Post
Braling II,
“Make a buck. Make a buck.”

biplane1,
“Handles” is a good word.

sceneshifter,
Interesting point about the paper. I wonder if it has to be hotter to ignite than it has to be when it settles in to a burn? Perhaps it’s at F451 when it’s burning. Or maybe the hook and ladder boys had been spending too much time around those chemical fires when they gave Ray that number.

He called him “Flyboy”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It obviously varies, like the speed of light. If you climb through that window into the world that Ray created, I can guarantee that paper ignites and burns at Fahrenheit 451 degrees. It may not do that here in our flawed environment, but who knows.

posted Hide Post
Sceneshifter, you bring out a good point. It might also depend on WHERE you are when you are burning the paper. Remember that water boils at a different temperature at higher elevations. Baking and other kitchen procedures can vary according to altitude as well.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point Biplane! Maybe certain books depending on the subject matter burn hotter and faster.

posted Hide Post
Of course paper burns at 451 Farenheit in the Bradbury world... I didn't mean to ruin it. I just like what some philosopher/scientist(Sagan? Stephen Gould? Feynman?) said about a rainbow losing nothing of its beauty just because you understand it's a bunch of water droplets and not a bridge to heaven.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh hey, you ruined nothing. What you said is highly likely to be true. It just struck me that even if that were the case, it would take nothing from that awe inspired novel, least of all that particular temperature. More than likely, if he picked up the phone and dialed the fire department a little sooner or a little later, he would have gotten someone elses interpretation on the degrees. In which case, I would be holding in my hand at this very moment Fahrenheit 538 or some such. Sort of like stamping on the proverbial butterfly, wouldn't you say?

posted Hide Post
When the author Ray Bradbury was writing a book about a future
society which had banned books and enforced this ban by burning them,
he decided to name the book after the burning point of paper.
I have heard he called lots of scientist friends, but none could tell him
at what temperature paper burned. With a flash of insight, he called the
local fire department. Without hesitating, the fireman said "451 degrees".
Bradbury named the book "Fahrenheit 451".

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug97/871346682.Es.r.html

Could this be true?

According to a Physics paper it depends on the exact type of paper.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post