Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Storyline...no title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storyline...no title
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for the title of a short story I read in an American literature anthology around 1978. It centers around an affluent American couple on vacation in central/south America. They hear that a 3rd world force takes over America. Their car breaks down and they're forced to look for work in this country. Does anyone recognize this? Have a title? A publication name? Thanks for any help you can be.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but this sounds vaguely like ...

"Fox in the Forest"

It's a short story about a couple who escape into time to elude the police, but are eventually hunted down.

It's in, "Vintage Bradbury"
and "The Stories of Ray Bradbury".

The story first appeared in Colliers magazine, May 13, 1950, as "To The Future"

See what others say....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the story, but not the title. Hope someone else can help.

If I'm thinking of the story right, no one travels in time. As the world realizes that America has been obliterated, all the arrogance we have manifest comes back to haunt this couple. They end up being "saved" at one point, by a friendly policeman, but they suffer from verbal abuse, robbery, etc. In the end you are left to wonder if they are going to make it or not.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 05-15-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story you are looking for is "And the Rock Cried Out." It appeared in the first Ballantine Books printing of FAHRENHEIT 451, after the novel. It also appears in the collection, THE VINTAGE BRADBURY (which is still in print in trade paperback.)

Posts: 2481 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I couldn't come up with the name.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only was I wrong on story title, but I recall that the couple in 'Fox in the Forest' went BACK into time, not forward. Sheesh!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to each for your help. I'm looking forward to finding a copy of The Vintage Bradbury and rereading the story.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 14 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post