Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    new fan

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new fan
 Login/Join

posted
i'm from the UK and have only read "A Sound of Thunder", which was reccomended to me by my dad (who read it in school).

i have been looking around the online book stores and have found many books by RB and was wondering which book would be the best for a starter.

i have been looking at purchasing "The Golden Apples of the Sun" and/or "Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales"

PS...was wondering what sort of fans are on here? like ages and locations, its nice to know what sort of fan base RB has Smiler

(I'm 25 and from liverpool in the UK.)

Posts: 3 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, kerblimey!
We Bradbury fans here come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. Poke around the archives a bit and you'll get an idea. A Liverpudlian, eh? My wife's Mancunian. Look for posts by philnic; he's in the UK and is a great resource. Tira!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome and please post in the "So...Where Y'all From?" thread located in the "Ray's Legacy" forum.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...Look for posts by philnic; he's in the UK and is a great resource.

Look no further! Welcome, kerblimey. "A Sound of Thunder" is a great place to start, as is Golden Apples of the Sun. Bradbury Stories is also highly recommended, but a tad more expensive, and not so easy to carry around. Also, come to my website (link below), and take a look at Pavel's Immersion site for some further reading suggestions.

quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...Tira!

Braling II, is this an English-style farewell? I normally spell it "tara" (short for "tararabit", which is the Midlander's way of saying goodbye). Or, if I'm feeling posh, it's "ta-ta".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have been looking on amazon at the pre-owned book section and theres some really good bargains on there. i tried the Immersion website and found it slightly confusing to use. think i'll start with those 2 books i said i'd buy and then move onto some other stuff.

i read on another thread that someone was asking about signed copies. i tried to look in the FAQ section and couldn't find it. does he do them...and if so how much do they cost.

thanks for the nice reception too....especially Braling II for the Tira...made me chuckle Smiler

Posts: 3 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok,

Outside of the "required" readings...
Dandelion Wine
Fahrenheit 451
Something Wicked This Way Comes

the BEST collection for the money and quality AND quantity of stories is the original massive collection "Stories of Ray Bradbury"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0394513355/sr=1-6/qid=...3660?ie=UTF8&s=books

I did not see it on the Amazon.co.uk site and I am not sure what the shipping costs are from Amazon.com to the UK, but I think it is very well worth pciking up.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, please don't forget the other fine novels, in fact the trilogy, Death Is A Lonely Business , A Graveyard For Lunatics, and Let's All Kill Constance.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome kerblimey!

Although it's his fiction that made me a fan, I can't recommend Bradbury's collection of essays on creativity ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING highly enough. It's one of those books I have to keep re-purchasing since I'm always giving away my latest copy. Whatever your level of interest in creative pursuits, it's a life-changer!

Posts: 18 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aaarrrgggghhhh...BOOK OVERLOAD BOOK OVERLOAD.

HEHE....seriously, i previously looked at the Fahrenheit 451 book and that seemed really interesting. might get that too. will see if i can order the one from amazon.com and ship it to my dad (he is living UK/US (complicated)).

thanks for the referals everyone...much appreciated Smiler

posted Hide Post
kerblimey, you asked about signed editions of Ray's books. The answer is, yes, he signs plenty of books, but since he rarely leaves California these days it would be difficult for you to get to a signing, I guess. Signed editions frequently show up on ebay, but often at rather inflated prices.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can always pick up the upcoming signed limited of Farewell Summber from Subterranean Press. Now exactly cheap at $125, but not as bad as some.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recommended Bradbury reading list:

1. The Stories of Ray Bradbury.
2. Dandelion Wine.
3. Fahrenheit 451.
4. The Martian Chronicles.
5. Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post