Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Illustrated Life

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illustrated Life
 Login/Join

posted
Since many who visit here regularly either are (or will soon be) in the possession of the RB IL: JTFM, by Jerry Weist, a separate string may be appropriate for questions and observations.

Here is a comment: The illustration (12/52: Fantastic Mysteries) of Cecy sleeping (p. 31) captures the paradox of her character: on one hand the mysterious beauty; on the other the traveller who lives amongst those haunting creatures in the background of the picture! I had never seen this artwork before on page, but did clearly in my mind, of course, with Homecoming and Dust Returned.

Dandelion: Your review in "Two Questions" - OUCH!

I think the old photos and illustrations with captions will give us much to consider for quite a while. My only thought, I wish the book had another 100 pages. (D: Agreed earliest years not well documented.)

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two notches below this one there is a "Ray Bradbury: An Illustrated Life" string. Can they be combined so we can achieve the objective of having a single thread where people can get various inputs? I loved the book. Dandelion expressed, in another string, some disappointment with some gaps in it. For those considering the book, it would be nice to have a single place to read people's opinions.

Now the string is a notch above. Started by Gary_Brooks.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 10-15-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only if you agree to either copy your posts, and paste them into the new thread, then I can delete this one, or agree to have your two posts appear in one section (with your separate names, of course, but in one post. I am not smart enough to move them to the other thread as two separate posts.)

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several pictures (c.2001-02) in the new I.L. book show Mr. Bradbury in a wheelchair or supported by a walker. Does any one have current information (from attending a recent public presentation) concerning his health status - generally speaking?

I know he had stroke a while back which he worked hard at recovering from. His production of materials in the last two years indicates he is still at full speed as far as publishing goes.

However, is his mobility still diminished because of the stroke or is he being extra cautious to avoid falls and subsequent problems. Living on the East Coast has not allowed me the privilege of seeing him speak in person - disappointing due to time and distances!

Maybe someone who has attended a recent performance can offer some insight! Thanks.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 10-17-2002).]

posted Hide Post
fjp:

My wife and myself had the opportunity to visit Ray at his home last year...and he greeted us in the dining room 'without' cane or crutch. But he was a lot slower than his usual sparkling self.

I said, "Ray, what is this...just a little manual typewriter?" And he pointed out to us that he uses a manual typewriter for therapy.

I saw him afterwards at a book signing in Huntington Beach, California...with a 'walker'. From what I am second guessing, it is advised that he use external support when amongst crowds, or places where he would loose his balance. Anyone else....?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-17-2002).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who have not visited this sight for sometime, as well as for those who may have overlooked "In His Own Words" in recent months, see: http://www.raybradbury.com/inhiswords.html

Illustrated Life now out with another novel coming out after New Year and more essays and poems to follow. Also, Sound of Thunder is presently at some stage of production (due 2003). How fortunate for us that Mr. Bradbury celebrated "merely" his 82nd birthday in August!

posted Hide Post