Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Sound of Thunder appearance in Playboy magazine

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sound of Thunder appearance in Playboy magazine
 Login/Join

posted
A friend of mine is looking for a reprinting in Playboy magazine of the story "A Sound of Thunder." Not the original appearance in June 1956, but he remembers a later printing, possibly in the early 1970's, which he says featured a stunning two-page illustration of the tyrannosaurus and the path. I have searched the internet to no avail. Does anyone remember the month and year of this issue? I would love to find it for him.

Thank you very much for any help or information anyone can give me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of sources say January 1989, but I can't find it in tables of contents for that issue.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see it ever being in PLAYBOY.

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?61488

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IFSDB probably only lists first appearances: Sound of Thunder's first appearance was in Collier's in 1952, with a double-page illo by Frederick Siebel.

The story DID appear in Playboy in June 1956, with a colour double-page illo by Franz Altshuler. It is reproduced in Jerry Weist's book Ray Bradbury: An Illustrated Life, p.45. I don't know of any later Playboy appearances.

When I get the time, I will scan both illustrations and post them here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, I got a bit carried away and started studying lots of "A Sound of Thunder" imagery - I've posted the Collier's, Playboy and other illustrations on my web page.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, Phil! Now they can look and see if it's the one they're after!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh man... I've always thought the ISFDB was "The Final Word", "The Ultimate Authority", "The Source", dang... this is like when I found out there was no Belly Button Lint Fairy.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ISFDB is prety good, but it's not flawless. I just used the advanced search feature to see if it knows about Playboy: it does, but the information looks a bit patchy. (Do a search for Planet Stories, or anything more disctinctively science-fiction-ish, and you get better results.)

I've spent enough time collating info from different sources when putting together my Bradbury bibliographies to know that there are no infallible sources.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Donn Albright is the closest to infallible you'll see in this life.