Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Literary criticism

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Literary criticism
 Login/Join

posted
I'm very confused on how to place Bradbury within the acceptance among the experts on literature. The information I have doesn't clarify how he is seen. I also don't know if he is studied at schools in language classes or literature classes. Can you help me?

ana

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have immediate access to any kind of figures, but know that Farenheit 451 and Martian Chronicles are widely read in high school and college English courses. Short stories (such as "The Veldt," "All Summer in a day," and a few others are pretty widely anthologied in English text books in some junior high school texts -- in addition to High School.

His popularity in the public reading realm and in community/library reading events is very high, also.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taught many of his short stories as well as The Martian Chronicles in my seventh grade literature classes. They all went very well, and students then borrowed some of his other books from me to read on their own, such as Something Wicked, The Halloween Tree, and Fahrenheit 451.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury considers himself entirely self taught in the Libraries.....

Teachers who helped him immensely, were also his personal friends...

Writers like, Leigh Brackett, who went on to write 'The Empire Strikes Back' for the screen...

Edmond Hamilton, the great science fiction writers of the 30's and 40's...

And others.....

Plus his loves of Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, the essays of George Bernard Shaw, etc etc etc etc etc......

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm writing a research paper on Ray due Tuesday, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding literary criticisms that coincide with my theme. I am specifically covering "Human�s values are tested when faced with menacing situations brought upon by such conditions as increasingly new technology and changes in what is viewed as right and wrong. By combining aspects of science fiction and style, Ray Bradbury creates tales involving the effect of abnormal situations on the values a human withholds". ANY help at all would be great. Until then, I'll keep working at it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From whom is the quotation you present on your posting I cannot help without knowing it

ana

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post