Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Hey Glenelg country school!! its suzanne!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Glenelg country school!! its suzanne!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Being an uncle one has to listen to "manyspeak". Working in a University, and
having a 13 year old girl, and a 10 year old. I am not "totally" unadept at the language just "clueless". But just enough to check out the websites my daughters CD's access or viewing the vids. Its an education the lyrics, and liner notes. Kinda scary I'll stay here with this marionette troupe any day than frolic out in that playground. Cyber tag your it....

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A long time since Alice complained on "The Brady Bunch" that "it's as if the kids are trying to make up a whole new language!" Since albums aren't really albums anymore, nothing can actually be "groovy"--no groove to get into, so to speak!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you have two turntables, and are doing some scratching, hip-hop rips up the 33 lp. One of my favorite flicks is High Fidelity with John Cusack in the title role.
Records rule I sure miss the cover art you could fit on an album that you have to now cram on a little CD now. Not to mention full size posters that were occasional perks. Lyrics you could actually read without a magnifing glass.
I just glanced at an article in New Scientist about how we are losing our archival music to time. I still have the systems in my home to play 78 rpm, 45 rpm, 33lp, 8 tracks, cassettes, cd's, or burn them onto a disc. Just no reel to reel.

One story by Ray that comes to mind about music, and dance is a chance meeting of friends. That ends in a dance hall with a remembrance of skills earned in happier days. That story is titled "Bug".
Rays vast contribution to personal stereo came from F-451 to A Sony engineer was getting the idea for earbuds from the "seashell" that Montag put in his ear to listen to Faber with. RAY ROCKS!

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle,
That's pretty cool.
Maybe I'm being a little dark, but im abbreviations have always reminded me a little bit of newspeak in "1984". Also, shortening words is kind of like ripping the "useless" pages from a book. I try not to use them... except when i'm a big hurry or something.
Nard, hang in there. We'll get you out of that nosirp yet. Message board to the rescue!

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post