Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
grasstains:

A Book of the Month Club brings that price waaay down... Sometimes you can't find a edition date on it, but thru the appearance of book may help. For instance, color of binding, indented embossings on the spine near the bottom, etc.

Check out the following website. Type in info in search, and you should find your exact book, with a price attached http://dogbert.abebooks.com/

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stains,
Showing my age here: "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco", but I like yours better...
and that's "Liverwurst" not Liverworst", unless you're, perhaps, expressing a dislike of the noble pate'?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find it, Nard. Now I know it isn't a first edition, however. Apparently, the first edition is clothe-bound while mine isn't. I did find some SFBC editions from 1953, but those had "Usher II" being omitted in favor of "The Fire Balloons" and the chapter called "The Wilderness". Mine has "Usher II" not the others.

They made good books back then. I have a SFBC book from 1955 and it's that crummy pulpy paper with the pages glued to the spine, like you'd find in a paperback. They had those lousy books through the 1980s. Now the bindings are nicer and the paper is of slightly better quality but very thin. This SFBC TMC is the best quality book I've ever seen from them. The paper is very thick and the binding on the spine is like you'd find in any normal hardback.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains:

Type in Ray Bradbury in the "Search" box for THIS store...and they have an older 'Book-of-the Month' copy of The Martian Chronicles.

The bookstore is: Normals Bookstores in Baltimore, MD.

I couldn't get the link to work... So go to 'Google'... & type in:

Normals Bookstore, Baltimore, MD

Take the' first' listing for Normals Books (and Records). When you get to their website.....click on the ABEBOOKS icon found on their website.

When you get there to ABEBOOKS, you will be in the inventory at Normals Bookstore. YEA!!

Type in Ray Bradbury in their SEARCH box. They have the one (1) Bradbury book. Is this book like yours?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 12-31-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard. But that seems like WAAYY too much work. I'm not that bright. Regardless of whatever the actual value of the book is, it's priceless to me. Just seeing Him with black hair and without glasses is so great. I've never seen a picture of RB when he was that young before.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains:
WHAT! Never saw a picture of Ray that young? Get over to my website. I have a couple pictures of Ray years back and one original photo ( I have somewhere in my stuff)...of Ray in 1945.
Go to my website, click on Bradbury icon, and sort thru the couple dozen photos...
http://www.catchaway.com

posted Hide Post
Wow! Great photos, I especially like the "Golden Apples" book signing photo.

posted Hide Post
im doing a school project does any one know what influnced RB's writing?
reply soon due tomorrow!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
newgirl2:

Here's a few answers to get you started...but then...

...go to the BRAND-NEW Ray Bradbury website, where you'll 'find:

� lots of people online to help you there...

� a "search" box, where you can type in keywords in the box to your questions and find them, most likely, already answered amongst the thousands and thousands of previous postings...

Preliminary answers to your question:

influenced by writers such as:

~ H.G. Wells
~ Robert Louis Stevenson
~ Edgar Rice Burroughs books, especially his 'John Carter, Warlord of Mars' books.
The book 'Winesburg, Ohio' by:
~ Sherwood Anderson
~ Emily Dickenson
~ Ernest Hemingway

go to the NEW Bradbury website: http://www.raybradbury.com

posted Hide Post
please please please teach me the art of no punctuation at all in a communication I find it fascinating to answer your question libraries family mars and edgar rice burroughs not necessarily in that order good luck kid

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 01-04-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nottomentionedgarallenpoeandjulesverne!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys: That's funny. I have fine puncuation shown on my screen. Are you syaing all the words run together on your computers? If so, must have something to do with the programs of each computer and how they may read differently...