Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury Halloween story?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Halloween story?
 Login/Join

posted
I am a reader for the blind and would like to read a Halloween story by Ray Bradbury that I saw in the Reader's Digest, 1970's or 80's. It was a long time ago, but I remember it being about celebrating Halloween with his aunt, who really enjoyed scaring the kiddies. Anybody know anything about this little story? Much appreciate, thanks.

Posts: 7 | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Tricks, Treats, Gangway!" As far as I know, its only publication was "Reader's Digest," October 1975.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, such a fast reply for something buried in the 1970's. Thanks so much.

posted Hide Post
If you can't get hold of the story, "The October Game" is a good Halloween read.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget "The Halloween Tree"!

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Dust Returned!!!! Is this not the book Bradbury wanted to be the halloween version of the Christmas Carol?

Posts: 21 | Registered: 12 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Halloween Tree" is a lot closer to "A Christmas Carol."

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your recommendations. They will be much appreciated by my audience in Haloweens to come. I read mostly 20-page short stories (so the story can be complete in the hour-long program). Any suggestions? I remember a Bradbury story about a woman crossing an empty lot, with something following her. Scariest thing I ever read. Does anyone remember the title?

posted Hide Post
"The Whole Town's Sleeping," though I don't know how often it appears as such. Best-known as an untitled incident from "Dandelion Wine."

posted Hide Post
I have a late recommendation for you, storyteller. It is from The Machineries of Joy. El D�a de Muerte. One of my favorites.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a good Halloween recommendation. I should have thought of it myself.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good recommendations. Since I have a weekly Mystery program on a radio reading service for the blind, I may read them anyway since they all sound so interesting. Imagine...a gray-haired 60-year-old trying to scare a bunch of blind people. How very Bradleyesque!

posted Hide Post
Oope, now all I have to do is learn to spell Ray Bradbury's name.

posted Hide Post
Storyteller. Your radio program for the blind sounds great. That is the kind of thing that keeps my faith up in humanity. When I read posts out here of people who are taxing their brains in teaching positions so they can try and turn a light on in some student's mind, and do a program like this, and persons involved (like Greg Miller, Nard and OctoberCountry) in the creative arts, it is just great.

posted Hide Post
I'm blushing. Actually, reading for the blind is more fun than I can say. You get to act without worrying about a script and can try different voices and emotional states. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Anybody interested, look for a radio reading service for the blind in your area. Often public radio stations have such a facility. Thanks for the encouragement--it has been fun talking to you all.