Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradbury Halloween story?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/1201087901

27 October 2003, 03:24 PM
storyteller
Bradbury Halloween story?
I am a reader for the blind and would like to read a Halloween story by Ray Bradbury that I saw in the Reader's Digest, 1970's or 80's. It was a long time ago, but I remember it being about celebrating Halloween with his aunt, who really enjoyed scaring the kiddies. Anybody know anything about this little story? Much appreciate, thanks.
27 October 2003, 11:56 PM
dandelion
"Tricks, Treats, Gangway!" As far as I know, its only publication was "Reader's Digest," October 1975.
28 October 2003, 11:01 AM
storyteller
Wow, such a fast reply for something buried in the 1970's. Thanks so much.
28 October 2003, 02:15 PM
Mr. Dark
If you can't get hold of the story, "The October Game" is a good Halloween read.
29 October 2003, 07:55 PM
patrask
Don't forget "The Halloween Tree"!
30 October 2003, 08:44 PM
Miss Piggy
From the Dust Returned!!!! Is this not the book Bradbury wanted to be the halloween version of the Christmas Carol?
31 October 2003, 03:43 AM
dandelion
"The Halloween Tree" is a lot closer to "A Christmas Carol."
07 November 2003, 09:36 AM
storyteller
Thank you all so much for your recommendations. They will be much appreciated by my audience in Haloweens to come. I read mostly 20-page short stories (so the story can be complete in the hour-long program). Any suggestions? I remember a Bradbury story about a woman crossing an empty lot, with something following her. Scariest thing I ever read. Does anyone remember the title?
07 November 2003, 01:34 PM
dandelion
"The Whole Town's Sleeping," though I don't know how often it appears as such. Best-known as an untitled incident from "Dandelion Wine."
07 November 2003, 07:10 PM
Ought Not
I have a late recommendation for you, storyteller. It is from The Machineries of Joy. El D�a de Muerte. One of my favorites.
07 November 2003, 08:54 PM
Mr. Dark
That is a good Halloween recommendation. I should have thought of it myself.
10 November 2003, 08:04 PM
storyteller
Thanks for all the good recommendations. Since I have a weekly Mystery program on a radio reading service for the blind, I may read them anyway since they all sound so interesting. Imagine...a gray-haired 60-year-old trying to scare a bunch of blind people. How very Bradleyesque!
10 November 2003, 08:05 PM
storyteller
Oope, now all I have to do is learn to spell Ray Bradbury's name.
11 November 2003, 12:13 AM
Mr. Dark
Storyteller. Your radio program for the blind sounds great. That is the kind of thing that keeps my faith up in humanity. When I read posts out here of people who are taxing their brains in teaching positions so they can try and turn a light on in some student's mind, and do a program like this, and persons involved (like Greg Miller, Nard and OctoberCountry) in the creative arts, it is just great.
15 November 2003, 12:34 PM
storyteller
I'm blushing. Actually, reading for the blind is more fun than I can say. You get to act without worrying about a script and can try different voices and emotional states. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Anybody interested, look for a radio reading service for the blind in your area. Often public radio stations have such a facility. Thanks for the encouragement--it has been fun talking to you all.