Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    At the Masthead
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the Masthead
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What is that thing tacked onto the end of that word, Jayne? Is it a parenthesis? A parenthesis has a right and a left (left peren and right peren) but this is rather perpendicular, and Waloon said that out where he comes from they don’t call it a parenthesis and biplane 1 is as contrite and penitent as Bing Crosby in “Going My Way” after Waloon said that. And being perpendicular, it’s not the perpendicular pronoun…nope. An exclamation point! That’s what it must be! And a fine looking and appropriate one it is too.

Thanks for pointing that out Jayne. I never realized it before but an exclamation point actually is part of the title of that great show. It was one of my son’s favorites along with “Star Blazers” and “The Hulk” with “David” Banner, although we did meet Lou Farigno at Universal back in the late seventies and on the same day met “Bruce” but not the Banner one—the shark one. Got kind of wet that day.

Ah, my mind wonders a little further and I begin to imagine a journey to some special steps out in L.A. where two men once struggled with a piano. I’d love to go there with friends, stand where the plague is that Ray helped have installed and do some Billy Gilbert sneezes and recite some lines from the movie and throw pies at each other and then clean it all up better than when we found it and go home.

Recitest us such verbiage from so meager a source.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What plague? Is Los Angeles quarantined? How bad is it, do we need to go underground, maybe the old ghost town can support us a while, then we'll have to take our chances with the Mojave desert...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Chap, that carp reared its ugly head, and I bit.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great leapin’ Jehosaphat! Spock on a trolley! Christopher Columbus!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Honk!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey, live posting again!

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Great Honk!

This is the point where I fall off the bus we were riding on. Oh well.

I didn't know there was a TV (show) called Emergency!, Is that where dandlion works? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jayne,

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think so, Jayne. I think she works for a publishing company. And she writes. But who knows?

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a magic bus I think.

I had a Philco TV once but now I have a Mitutoyo. Gomenasi, Jayne-san.

For the background on “Great Honk!”: http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-05-19/arts_feature.html

Ye Gods!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Someone thought Bruce was effeminate. My sisters thought Kevin the height of effeminate. Bruce and Kevin are NOT girls' names! Do NOT name your new granddaughter Bruce Kevin or any combination. (If you must name a girl Kevin it should have a special spelling like Kevonne. Bruce, for girls, is RIGHT OUT!)

There aren't any carp in the desert. And, I don't work in an emergency room, I just watch one on TV: http://www.emergencyfans.com/

I know a tree called Kevin who lives next door. Kevin was stepped on, but he is better now. (Okay, so he's not a tree yet. But he's on his way to sapling.)

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"...The topic of names as it relates to masculinity..."
Yeah, I'm just about to become a grandfather again. How about I suggest if it's a boy, Biff or Spike; and if a girl, Pearl or Pansy?

Do you bite your thumb at me good Sir?

What, in your eyes, have I done to requsite such mockery?

Congradulations on the new addition to your family, I wish them all the best, and to you many happy great-grandchildren as well.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jayne, no offense meant at all! Facetiously offering names that would (stereotypically) avoid any misconceptions as to 'gender', which has happened right here on this very board! Not just with you either, my man. To wit, lmskipper, Chapter31, maybe others.

As to naming trees, I recall a plant named Arthur regularly depicted in early Mad Magazines...

And, Chap, a link for you:
http://www.engrish.com/

Now back to banausic activities.
(I'll let y'all know when little Braling IV arrives!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I do bite my thumb, sir. But I do not bite my thumb at you, sir!"

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name should smell as sweet." Well said, Sir Will!

Now, Babe Ruth, Pumpsy Green, Pearl Monroe, Henny Yougman, Lyndsey Nelson, Carrol O'Conner, Fran Tarkinton, Leslie Neilson, Carroll O'Connor, and Elie Weisel had nothing less than magnificence in their lives. And "Jayne" Hindu for "victorious" sounds great to me. My own moniker translation "freedom" has been appreciated since (its) first discovery back in grade 3 or 4.

The again, "Studs (Terkel)"! There's a name that might give a youngster some challenges finding middle ground with friends and foes alike!

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arthur--is that the plant that’s located at Whatsamatter-U in Frostbite Falls? I thought I saw Charlie Ruggles and Edward Everett Horton teaching a class there on Fairy Tales and Way-back machines--to say nothing of the dog.

posted Hide Post
One of my favourite lines from that episode is when the Watsamatta U school officials are trying to come up with a scheme to make money, one says something like , "Maybe we could get Daddy Warbucks to give us a loan." Another replies, "Don't be ridiculous! He's a cartoon character!" And the first guy says, "We're real?"