Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    At the Masthead
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the Masthead
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks fjp451, I was unaware of the Hindu meaning, or that is was a Hindu word at all. Valid points all. Masculine/feminine forms, and how they differ from one language to another interests me, I can only speak in an informed way to the languages I speak.(French,Japanese, and obviously english)I would say in Japan the difference between how a man and a woman speak is arguably as great as that of different dialects. (ie Tokyo and Kyoto)While in French I rarely understand why one object is masculine while another is feminine.

I tend to ramble on, to make at least one cogent point, I would only say that at the end of the day a name is only a name. What a name says about a person is coincidental, what a person does/represents with a name seems, to me, to be the greater part.

Do you speak Hindi? I would be very interested in your thoughts about the language, and how it reflect culture and attitudes.

Edited to add:BralingII, no worries, I was just funnin' with the thumb biting bit. Please do let us know when the big day arrives, maybe I will write some unintentionly bad poetry for the occation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jayne,

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I never realized, untill the other day, that what members and guests are on the web site at any given time. Right now, it's me, Dandelion, and Frank. 10 guests are floating around there as well.

Has anyone else ever noticed this. Wouldn't it be neat to have a section that would Instant Messaging for us to chat together?

How about this, we could do the "almost live posting" bit here, "At the masthead", we just have to set up a time to meet. Thoughts? comments? I'm partial to tommrow afteroon, as I am off work for a few days due to injury.

posted Hide Post
When you set up a time, be careful not to use Phileas Fogg’s chronometer.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's company is having their annual picnic, which we will be attending, but since Florida is three hours behind California I would still be able to participate if the tiem frame were from say, 2 PM to 4 PM Central Standard Time or something like that. It is rather reat, when you think about it, that we are all scattered all over the world. Phil and one or two others in Great Britain, the young man from Argentina,
us USers from California to New York to down here in Florida.

So there!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, that is a good point. Best to use the atomic clock in Denver. (Now I will spend half the day looking at the the various archaic cronometers that have been invented. Razzer)

biplane, let's split the difference and shoot for 3 pm central. That may be not enough notice for most, I don't know. I have done "almost live" posting on another board, and I like it better than a chatroom for sure.

This is just the first try, if it works maybe we could do it every week. We'll see.

posted Hide Post
Well, here we go for the "almost live" posting, I guess I will start off first, although I looks like I may be talking to myself, not a whole lot of board members at the moment.

posted Hide Post
My friends, I have failed. I have failed myself, I have failed you, and I have failed the reason we are all here, Mr. Bradbury.

Alas, the almost "live" posting never was, and was not to be. I can only blame myself, I seem to lack the charisma (gift of the gods) required for this venture. I will contemplate my shame. I vow to never let it happen again, ..........................today. Frowner Frowner

posted Hide Post
Today, Saturday, I assume many are cavorting about and not at there computers. Other times you may run into the problem of people being at jobs that commit them to areas of work that don’t allow access to the computer, etc, etc. Don’t blame yourself. It has nothing to do with you. You’ll probably see it work in spurts.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Today, Saturday, I assume many are cavorting about and not at there computers. Other times you may run into the problem of people being at jobs that commit them to areas of work that don’t allow access to the computer, etc, etc. Don’t blame yourself. It has nothing to do with you. You’ll probably see it work in spurts.

I know, I'm laid up with an injury, otherwise I would be working about now. Besides, I never let an opportunity to be overly dramatic, with my tounge firmly attached to my cheek.

How is your weekend so far Chap?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking. “Weak” so far but it will probably “end” okay. How is yours?—by the way, I hear that Ray caught a sniffle.

posted Hide Post
Huzzah! Callooh Callay!
Little Braling IV arrived this morning at 7:30! SHE is a very cute 8 lbs named Dimiana.
She and parents are doing fine.
Her eyes are a bit red do to some pressure having been born 'sunny side up'.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

ImageThe_Bud.jpg (191 Kb, 10 downloads)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats B-Two!!! Thats a fine beautiful new perfect child!! I remember being in the operating room at the births of all of ours just as if it were yesterday, truly one of the most miraculous events of my life, and its still unfolding. To me, Dandelion said it best. Perfect beautiful flowers, or something like that.

One note, that file is huge. It seems a little distorted, like a poster zoomed real close, maybe its just me.???

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today you are the second most fortunate man on the planet, the first is the father. Congratulations!! Make sure and spoil her with all the things her parents, being parents, are obligated to deny her. Big Grin Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your beautiful new flower. It's funny she has a Russian name as I've just been reading about Russia, also had some Russian Rye bread today.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Then when mamma goes by to bed,
She shall come in with tiptoed tread,
And see me lying warm and fast
And in the Land of Nod at last.”
--Robert Louis Stevenson

Congratulations. Health.