Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray's Alias?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's Alias?
 Login/Join

posted
hello, i was wondering if you all could help me...

i remember someone telling me that ray bradbury also published under another name--romance novels and other things he doesnt ordinarily write. im almost positive it was the name douglas spalding...but when i go to look for books by that name i cant find any. If anyone knows if this is in fact true, that he does publish under another name, and if so what it is, that would be wonderful.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's used several, but never for whole books, only individual pieces. I think "Leonard Douglas" is the one you're thinking of.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, if 'marionette' wants to take the time and start searching, ALL the names that Bradbury has used is listed here under some appropriate topic heading....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some of the other names that have been used by Ray (and there are more; for example, he used the name "Ron Reynolds" in some of his writing for his fanzine, FUTURIA FANTASIA), see the top of the page of the link below:
http://isfdb.tamu.edu/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Ray_Bradbury

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies guys..

and i DID search through old posts and stuff...but i couldnt find anything so i decided to ask.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry it took so long to respond, and I hope this is still helpful.

Most stories published used his own name, but Nolan indicates the following pseudonyms (these tend to be early in his career):

-- Doug Rogers
-- E. Cunningham
-- Ron Reynolds
-- Brian Eldred
-- Guy Amory
-- Cecil Claybourne Cunningham
-- nthony Corvias
-- D. Lerium Temaine

He lists the following professional pen names:

-- Edward Banks
-- D.R. Banet
-- William Elliott
-- Brett Sterling
-- Leonard Spaulding
-- Leonard Douglas
-- Douglas Spaulding

For details, you'll need to get the book; but I hope this information is helpful.

THE RAY BRADBURY COMPANION. by William F. Nolen. Published by Gale Research. Detroit, MI. 1975. (pp 299-300)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am new to the world of Ray Bradbury and this message board. I am a puppeteer and wonder if "marionette" is a puppeteer as well or is it a reference to the author's writings. Just curious more than anything. Thanks!

Posts: 5 | Location: dallas, texas USA | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Illustrated Man - s.s. collection. Not a "puppet" in the true sense of the word, but rather an android or mechanical human reproduction for the purpose of "freedom" from what complicates one's daily life. A classic RB.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the response. That makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Posts: 5 | Location: dallas, texas USA | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post