Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Needing certain short stories
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needing certain short stories
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I would love to set my watch by “That siren sound at twelve o’clock noon.” and wonder if I would have to wait until 12:05 “...if Bud is late.”

I'm a big fan.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...from the Pedestrian:
"The car hesitated, or rather gave a faint, whirring click..." Do you think just the onboard computer or also the engaging of an electric engine?

Also, CH 31 or BrII & others, what simile was made of the morning smell of napalm (not turnips) in Apoc. Now?

(The intensity of the production and scope of this movie almost cost FFCoppola his life. It was one of the first mega million$ movie monsters, but ultimately proved to be a huge success. ie. w/ Harrison Ford, Dennis Hopper, Martin Shean, of course, "the man's a genius" - Marlon Brando!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Golden Age of Radio, which is why I love "Prairie Home Companion".
The first show I heard, Keillor's "Well, it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegone" monologue was about "Bruno The Fishing Dog". Also got to see the show live years ago when it came to San Jose.
Don't like Garrison's politics, though...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
Col. Kilgore said it, “I love the smell of napalm in the morning” just before or during the surfing sequence I think. He was kneeling on one knee on a sandbar or the beach.

Braling II,
Although I’m a Mugwump, I go along with you. I don’t agree with Mr. Keillor’s politics either.

Here is a curiosity. Garrison Keillor presented this live in 1988. It is sung to the tune of the second movement of Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9, Largo. This is the same tune the accordionist we always see a picture of crying at Franklin Roosevelt’s funeral is playing. The words are all Keillor’s.

Morning light, cool and bright,
Wobegone reveals,
Early frost, all across,
Farm and woods and fields.

Coffee done, I’ll have some,
Step outside alone,
Look around, set me down,
On this slab of stone.

By the barn, cattle turn,
Murmurs in the pen,
Strong and pure, cow manure,
I know where I am,
I know where I am,
I am home again.

Precious Lord, by Your word,
Simple gifts are blessed,
Creatures all, great and small,
Heavenly love expressed,
Love and faithfulness.
Let the promise of salvation,
Come by daily observation,
In this farm yard,
Lord be with us.

My old dog takes his walk,
Sniffing every tree,
Every smell, seems to tell,
His biography.

Chickens dash, across the grass,
Cats patrol the yard,
Seven geese, marching east,
Form an honor guard.

Then a small trumpet call,
Ringing to the skies,
Three loud barks…
Woof, woof, woof,

Wake up and arise,
Be in paradise,
Be in paradise.
--Garrison Keillor

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451:

I thought Patrick (FH451) might reply to your question, but since he hasn't, I'll clue you in...

Patrick drives Ray around in a black 2003 Cadillac. Now if the year is different, I can't tell some of these late model Cadillacs.
And Ray usually sits up in front.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, here's another photo of the front end of the 1963 Stude Avanti. Mind you, this machine did 165 MPH off the show room floor. It came out in June of 1962. What was the name of the engine? R2. (Who knows? If Studebaker stayed in business a few more years, they may have come out with an accompanying engine... the D2). All with that Paxton supercharger, naturally...

Image6832830173883606.JPG (19 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
Sorry. I was multitasking when I answered your simile question and it made no sense. I have to remember to “put down the ducky if I want to play the saxophone.” Kilgore does go on talking after the napalm statement but I can’t remember what it is he says. What was the simile?

posted Hide Post
I lived in Minnesota for twenty-eight years and never once ventured the 100 miles to St. Paul where Garrison Keillor broadcast "The Prarie Home Companion" in the World Theatre, although the trip had been thought about.

Two years ago Garrison appeared at the Miami Book Fair and my wife and daughter and I drove down to see and hear him. I was able to ask him a couple of questions afterward (one about Lutefisk) and later got a couple of nice photos of him.

A couple of months ago he was a guest on Craig Ferguson's show talking about making a movie about "The Prarie Home Companion". Then about a month and half ago a friend of mine called from Minnesota and said I have someone who wants to speak with you--and it was Garrison Keillor, who was appearing at "Choclate Days" in the little town of Truman (I believe). So I got to chat with Garrison for a few moments before he had to go.

Garrison is very different. Many years ago he up and quit the show not liking what one of the newspaper critics were saying about the show and moved to Norway with his then wife and stayed away for some three years.

He has a magnificent voice and his ability to set out on a monologue for twenty minutes, making up things as he goes, is unbelievable.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
fjp451,
Sorry. I was multitasking when I answered your simile question and it made no sense. I have to remember to “put down the ducky if I want to play the saxophone.” Kilgore does go on talking after the napalm statement but I can’t remember what it is he says. What was the simile?

"It smells like...victory."

Posts: 3 | Location: Los Angeles California | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom at Pandemonium,
Excellent quote. The use of the ellipse really points out how Duval moves his head a funny little way between the word “like” and “victory”. So I guess my statement should be, “I love the smell of turnips in the morning. It smells like…Grandma’s house.”

biplane 1,
Wonderful anecdote. I envy you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Garrison Keillor IS a funny one. Now he seems to have taken a dislike to the Fitzgerald Theater when his show has owned it for twenty-five years:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/03/people.garrisonkeillor.ap/

His official website says nothing about the move and that the show will continue to broadcast from the Fitzgerald as usual. I wonder if this stems from any unhappiness over the movie recently filmed there, or whatever?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom, "Victory!" it is!
And the "..." do indeed capture the scene from the movie. Duval contemplated just momentarily, then gave his exact comparison.

He added with a bizarrely ironic melancholy, "Someday this war is going to be over!"

As for the car in the RB story that rumbled the family westward, it was in "The Inspired Chicken Motel" (from Body Electric). It was, as I thought I had recalled, also refered to in Sam Weller's RB Bio. SW comments that it is one of Mr. B's truly biographic s.s. Take a look:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=1938+bui...i=UTF-8&fr=slv1-wave

Nard, as for the impression I get from the contour of that '63 Avanti you have offered, are you sure it was doing 165 "'on' the showroom floor?"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post