Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    help me please!!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me please!!!!
 Login/Join

posted
in the next few weeks i am expected to write an essay on short stories or should i say a story. The ones i have been 'studying' have been The Scythe and The Pedestrian. these are both fairly straight forward until it comes to anylising it. It is then that i am struggling particularly when picking out themes in the stories and finding quotations related to the themes, also characterisation is important but less so. I was just sending a little hoping that maybe there is a nice person who could help me get started in revising these themes. Any help is good help and anything would be helpful because i am currently in a twist with these stories THANK YOU!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 28 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that if I recall correctly, "the Scythe" was the story about the man who became Death in the wheat field. "the pedestrian" perhaps was when a woman picked up death in her car (I know it was a twilight zone episode, but so many have been based off of Bradbury stories that, although I hate to admit it, obscure ones blend together sometimes, in my mind.)

Themes in Scythe: destiny/fate, perhaps? The power of the individual? The result of trying to change one's destiny? (though that last point is countered by the fact that the man kills many people before their time in his despair)

I'm sure that the other members could help you more, but I have to get going. I suggest re-reading the stories, I'll do the same.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I am notoriously bad about identifying and verbalizing themes, but am great at titles and story elements!

"The Pedestrian" was about the man challenged for walking at all, let alone after dark, in a future city policed by remote-controlled machines.

The "Twilight Zone" episode of which you are thinking is "The Hitchhiker," a classic written by Rod Serling. It was never among the stories in dispute for being overly influenced by Ray Bradbury. Bradbury did write another story about death personified, "Death and the Maiden," and it and the story "There Was an Old Woman" were pretty directly ripped off in the "Twilight Zone" episode "Nothing in the Dark," but that was written by George Clayton Johnson, not Serling.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Bradbury did write another story about death personified, "Death and the Maiden," and it and the story "There Was an Old Woman" were pretty directly ripped off in the "Twilight Zone" episode "Nothing in the Dark," but that was written by George Clayton Johnson, not Serling.

Well, I wouldn't say ripped off, exactly.

George admitted to me that he was unaware at the time that he was plagiarizing (his word) Death and the Maiden, and I believe him.

I don't think we're really aware sometimes of the influence RB had in the late fifties over the fantasy/sci-fi genre at large.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In fairness, I wasn't calling it a deliberate ripoff, and I haven't even seen the entire episode, just a clip of relevant portions on the "American Masters" show on Rod Serling.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, go and watch it! Now! It's terrific. Forget rip-off, think homage, and you'll love every minute.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right. I watched it again recently, and was struck by how strong an episode it is. What a terrific job of writing. It's so simplistic, and it's beautiful in its simplicity.

Consider the setting: one drab room. Consider the actors: two lead, one supporting. Consider the dialogue: short, block-like phrases and descriptions. Consider the story: Lonely old woman is afraid of Death getting inside to her. A classic.

Like Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify!"

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider how damn gorgeous Robert Redford looks.

Okay, sorry, my bad.

Not sure I have that one. I've taped a few marathons but holding off on DVDs till I'm rich, or watch all the DVDs I have, one.