Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Filming A Ray Bradbury Fantasy

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filming A Ray Bradbury Fantasy
 Login/Join

posted
The following article,"Filming A Ray Bradbury Fantasy", appeared in the April 24, 1983 issue of The New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/0...radbury-fantasy.html

Posts: 2467 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, this is an outstanding RB article written by, I believe, Aljean Harmetz:
https://www.nytimes.com/by/aljean-harmetz

Her historic accounts of Mr. Bradbury's works (and many other key actors and musicians of decades past - including Mr. B's dear Irish wonder Deanna Durbin) are very insightful and would truly benefit a new fan who is becoming involved in his works.

Mr. Bradbury written style was not easily captured to the screen of his era. Today's technologies could highlight his imaginative expressions in a very interesting manner if in the proper hands of an informed director and producer.

It always comes down to the performers, however. Something Wicked is still enjoyable today. So too, many of the Ray Bradbury Theater short story episodes. The number of "big names" who took parts in that series is actually quite impressive still today!

I know this has been discussed within the Forums many times, but after reading this 40 yr. old NY Times article, and reflecting back on my own RB experiences with so many nighttime readings with our then young sons as wells as with countless classroom and seminar participants, the classic American small town legend of Dandelion Wine still reverberates in my mind's eye.

If handled "right off from the page" by an inspired production team, this story would set the stage for youth, parents, seniors, and film critics alike. The narration would be presented in a similar Something Wicked fashion, capturing the essences of neighborhood relations, joys of youth, fears of all ages, loves of family members, sadnesses of losses, and friendships made and treasured.

Imagine!? All this coming from a small glass of homemade golden wine.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post