Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    The dog ate it! (What are you working on?)
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The dog ate it! (What are you working on?)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Jayne, sorry about your disappointment. I sometimes take things too far and I shouldn't have baited you that way, I apologize.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sunday I managed to just about cripple myself gardening for six hours. Monday drove around doing various chores including hauling a carpet cleaner to be repaired. Tuesday went on a hike commemorating a (very small) section of Lewis and Clark's route for the Bicentennial. It was supposedly two miles, but I think we hiked nearly a mile to get to the place where the two miles started, so it was closer to three. Wednesday don't know if I'll be mobile. "Petrificus totalis" may not only join my vocabulary but describe my condition!

Also decided Anna Anderson was not Anastasia, but not only did she sure as heck work at it, she had accomplices!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, you have to take better care of yourself. We all are no longer spring chickens, unfortunately. Do take it easy.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SO much living...SO little time!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No kidding. Wednesday, after various interesting activities including climbing a ladder and ripping out a shed window, I went to the state park for three hours to hang out with the Corps of Discovery Lewis and Clark journey guys, where we basically threw sharp implements, sang, danced, and indulged in an activity known as "vooping" consisting of roasting a plastic milk jug over a campfire. I had no idea life in 1806 was such fun!

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
D: Axes or knives!?

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you didn't breathe in any of the burning plastic fumes! Nearly as bad as the cell phones we roasted on the Old Board!

It appears a lot of us Bradbury aficionados suffer from biterminal combustion of the paraffinic illuminator. Always busy, like the man himself!
Dandy, you can relate: I've been rehearsing the Berlioz Requiem at the Santa Cruz Civic with the Santa Cruz Symphony. The acoustics are NOT designed for this. We have a large orchestra (including 8 timpani!) 3 brass ensembles in different parts of the auditorium, and we (the Chorus) number about 120. Our director says "save your voices". Yeah. Sure. We have to rehearse like this 3 1/2 hours every night for ONE concert on Saturday. ONE performance! But, as Superchicken was wont to remind Fred, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!"

By the way, a book I recommend for folks like us is "How Can We Keep From Singing: Music and the Passionate Life" by Joan Oliver Goldsmith.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Super Chicken!!!" My, oh my! Where does it end with you, Sundance!? It's a wonder you have any free time at all with all of these monumental thoughts being share with us each day...

("Buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck, buck-buck!" Right?)

posted Hide Post
fjp451: both! They warned us not to breathe the fumes, but that was all part of the fun and the overall experience.

posted Hide Post
"...caaaaALL for Superchicken! B'GAK!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, Dandy, the murder of the Romanovs is a subject much discussed by Orthodox Christians. There are a few good books on them (and on the revolution) the titles of which I don't have to hand. But these are two interesting sites regarding Anastasia:
http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/Russia/Anastasia.html
and
http://www.serfes.org/royal/annaanderson.htm

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Braling II. The Serfes site was especially useful in answering some questions I had, though by no means all of them! I'm at a loss as to why no former associate of Franziska Schanzkowska ever came forward and identified her as Anna Anderson! How she could have pulled such a thing off or who financed it I couldn't venture to say, but the speculation of cosmetic surgery does not seem so far off the mark.

Here is a site by Anna Anderson biographer Peter Kurth, http://www.peterkurth.com/ANNA-ANASTASIA%20NOTES%20ON%2...A%20SCHANZKOWSKA.htm who still believes her to be Anastasia.

This has to go down in the annals of great conspiracies of the 20th Century.

posted Hide Post
Well, since it's Cinco de Mayo, all I can say is, "¿Quién sabe?"

posted Hide Post
quote:

Here is a site by Anna Anderson biographer Peter Kurth, http://www.peterkurth.com/ANNA-ANASTASIA%20NOTES%20ON%2...A%20SCHANZKOWSKA.htm who still believes her to be Anastasia.

This has to go down in the annals of great conspiracies of the 20th Century.

[Sarcasm]Thanks Dandelion, I now have a new facination that I'm sure will cost me no sleep at all. [/Sarcasm]

Seriously, Thanks for sharing so much of what you have been up to, once I get more familiar with the facts and suppositions expect a few questions headed in your direction. Wink

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
Jayne, sorry about your disappointment. I sometimes take things too far and I shouldn't have baited you that way, I apologize.

No apology reqired.
Obviously I was in a bad state of mind when I posted that. It was rude and uncalled for.
Water under the bridge?

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post