Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 34

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I've skipped reading almost all the classic trilogies and serials. I'm starting C.S. Lewis' "SPACE" trilogy tonite.

I just finished a Simak collection.

Maybe next I'll tackle HYPERION by Dan Simmons or O.S. Card's ENDERS GAME.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy" is great! Have fun.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished Blish's "A Case Of Conscience", I was impressed with the concepts, the conclusion was bizzare. I am now reading Theodore Sturgeons "A Touch Of Strange". Translator if you want to read something equally unusual with irony & religion & more sex than I was prepared for
read "Godbody" by Sturgeon. Harlan Elisson's intro is quite terse. Sturgeons' early collection of stories "Without Sorcery" is classic. Believe it or not my Mastiff half consumed the copy I had gotten on loan from Oregon State, and I had to buy a copy from a online bookstore in Boston. They would'nt even let me keep the eaten portion, I had to return that. Something about state property. I recently also picked up "Four Past Midnight" by King, and am reading the Library Policeman. The Fire Balloons remind me of Blish's novel, Father Perigrin, Ramirez in Conscience. Both pondering alien souls salvation.. The preacher in Godbody had an interesting way of becoming "enlightened"! The unique perspectives in that book were unerving at best.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 05-28-2004).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, I'll pick it up after I'm done with what I have.

Still reading the Kama; I'm trying to put it into practice, as it was meant to be done, so it's taking quite a long time to get through it. But it's pure bliss.

Read some short stories: Le Tabac Vert, Les Fourmis, Une Miason Place des Fetes, Jimmy, Le Retour du Mort and others. I especially recommend Les Fourmis.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle-
The only story I've read from A TOUCH OF STRANGE is AFFAIR WITH A GREEN MONKEY. I had no idea Sturgeon was such a Dirty Birdy. That story is filthier than any story I've read by him and after reading it I put the book back on the shelf. I'll pick it up again someday. Sturgeon is one of my favorites, I was just surprised at the subject matter of that particular story and the disgusting feeling it left me with. Sturgeon's stories usually leave me feeling good.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on the G Monkey. I have not finished "A Crime For Lywellen" yet it is the second story. In the book "GodBody" you read it as 1st person from I think 5 different perpectives. It was an unsettleing book. One that I finished because I am a die-hard Sturgeon fan, but that book is a one time read for me. His early work is WONDERFUL, classic pulp sf. I have enjoyed Patricia K. Mckillips Harpest Trilogy, and Ursula K. Leguins Wizard of Earth-Sea Trilogy. Each author is precise in detail, and sentance structure. One very clever book on practical insurrection is WASP by Eric Frank Russell. It was great, in perspective of the times. A different take at best.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shall attempt to...dip in and dive out, occasionally, in the book '''Sartos Resartus'''...by Thomas Carlyle, that Ray talked frequently about a lot years ago. Was drawn orginally to the book by its premise, about clothes representing the profound. Deeper meanings clothed by the more deeper meaning of clothings of all things... (Hmm~!? Does that make sense? And I'm going to try to read this book!? Good luck to me !!)

Anyway... it's a book by author Carlyle, who was influeneced by Goethe. Not an easy thing to read... so in little gulps... http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_html/Outline_of_G...I/sartorres_cba.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 05-29-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uncle-
Do you know which of Sturgeon's older collections has the story KILLDOZER in it? Was that even a short story, or was it a novel? I've seen it mentioned quite often, but i've never come across it in a store. Is it about a killer bulldozer?

For a long time I would buy any anthology that had a story by Sturgeon. His collection STURGEON IS ALIVE AND WELL is perhaps my favorite book on my shelves. But in a fire I'd probably grab THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY instead.

The only other Sturgeon collections I have are E. PLURIBUS UNICORN and A TOUCH OF STRANGE. For some reason his books have proven to elude me, as I ALWAYS check the "S" section of the used bookstores in hope of finding Stapledon, E.E. "Doc" Smith, Cordwainer Smith, Scortia, Simak, or Sturgeon and I rarely find any of them. Pangborn's DAVY is THE one I've been looking for forever, want most, and have never found.

posted Hide Post
I have only seen Killdozer as a novel.
I have not read that one. Sturgeon is good, and hard to find, that is why it cost so much to replace the copy my dog ate.

posted Hide Post
"Killdozer" is a short story as well. My copy is in The Great SF Stories 6 (1944), ed. Isaac Asimov and Martin H. Greenberg.

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reading Don Quixote by that one Cervantes guy.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enjoy. I was an inspiration to soemthing like...well, the whole of litterature ever since.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just finished October Country
moving on to Colin Wilson's Black Room
and after that George RR Martin's Clash of Kings

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, Or | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started reading The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. And I know it's got to be better than the movie; I can count on one hand (and have fingers left over!) the number of books put to film that I felt did the book justice. And I obviously read a lot of books that are put on film because my son will watch a movie and I'll tell him I have the book and it's much better!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After finishing a re-read of "The Lord of the Rings", I have moved on to "The Silmarilion", a very interesting look into the history of Middle-Earth. I will also be re-reading "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse.

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post