Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think Mrs. Miller did a few Dylan songs?

http://www.mrsmillersworld.com/

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 06-21-2006).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joan Baez does beautiful renditions of Bob Dylan songs, in which the tune is quite distinguishable.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got to read Dylan's impressions of Joan Baez in his autobiography. Great writing.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do anything special for yourself today, be sure to take a few minutes to listen to the "STANDARDS" on this site: http://franklarosa.com/vinyl/Exhibit.jsp?AlbumID=77

I am torn between which is more complimentary to the artist (Downtown: Petula Clark or Hard Day's Night: The Beatles). You will need to decide for yourself. Truly amazing renditons, this said by a dad who has a 7 yr. old with near perfect pitch. (?!)

BrII, your choice in music is impeccable.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo:

Those recordings are something. Not only Mrs. Miller's, but them all. It all looks rather silly from the vantage point of 2006! Imagine the vantage point of 2076!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1977 the United States sent a Voyager Space Probe deep into outer space, hoping for it to reach another galaxy, and perhaps even reach some other forms of life somewhere out there. The probe contained a several items to illustrate what the culture on Earth was like. As part of the cultural package they picked one record to represent rock and roll, and that record was "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry.
The Earth recently got the first ever message from another life form in outer space. After being received and decoded, translated, etc, the message from outer space was "SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY!"

posted Hide Post
Chuck Berry? Now you're talking. I like him much better than Dylan. Sadly, I think his biggest hit was that gimmick song ("My Ding-A-Ling") but then again there's no telling if "Johnny B. Goode" is indeed a "universal" hit by now.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to do some research to find out what all was contained in the probe to reflect (the positive aspects only?) of our culture. I hope there was some John Coltrane. And W.C. Fields. And Stan Freberg. And...Ray Bradbury!

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Wonderful choices they made. I notice that Bach is on there a lot and there is a Navajo chant.

Imagine if Chaplin�s �City Lights� is on there. I wish I could paint like Ed Emshwiller so I could do a painting of aliens crying at the end of it. Like the Irish and Diana Durbin.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 06-26-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. That last close-up is one of the most moving images ever captured on film!

posted Hide Post
Back from vacation, went too quick. I read Neuromancer by William Gibson, it was awesome. I also read The Halloween Tree, also very good. Now reading Out of the Deeps by John Wyndham, so far good. What are some other books like Neuromancer of that caliber and type?

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished Out of the Deeps, was good. Started Caves of Steel this morning. Next, The Demolished Man by Bester.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Rules, Britannia" by Toni Hargis. Great fun, especially for Anglophiles.

posted Hide Post
Good choices, Robot Lincoln (R. Lincoln). Hope you enjoy them both.

�Down with dirty Spacers!�

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post