Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Oooooooh, I love listing my favorite movies!

20.) To Kill a Mockingbird (1962, *Gregory Peck)
19.) Hush....Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964, *Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland)
18.) Back Street (1961, *Susan Hayward, John Gavin)
17. The Three Lives of Thomasina (1964, *Patrick McGoohan)
16.) Mildred Pierce (1945, *Joan Crawford)
15.) Now, Voyager (1942, *Bette Davis, Paul Henreid)
14.) Gone with the Wind (1939, *Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable)
13.) Terms of Endearment (1983, *Shirley MacLaine, Debra Winger, Jack Nicholson)
12.) Postcards from the Edge (1990, *Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine)
11.) The Last of the Mohicans, (1992, *Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe)
10. Legends of the Fall, (1994, *Anthony Hopkins, Brad Pitt)
09.) Sophie's Choice (1982, *Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline, Peter MacNicol)
08.) Out of Africa (1985, *Meryl Streep, Robert Redford)
07.) Asylum (2005, *Natasha Richardson, Marton Csokas)
06.) The Proposition (1998, *Kenneth Branagh, Madeleine Stowe, William Hurt)
05.) Braveheart (1995, *Mel Gibson)
04.) What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962, *Bette Davis, Joan Crawford)
03.) Gladiator (2000, *Russell Crowe)
02.) A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, *Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter)
01. already???)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)/The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)/The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003, *lotza people!)

Wow, and I didn't even name all the other old films I love!

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I think we all have excellent taste in movies!!
Re-reading all your lists, (grasstains, you're as 'bad' as I am!) I'd think 'Oh, yeah, Sunset Boulevard, Fargo, City Lights, ooooooooh, yeah, yeah, yeah!'
Maybe the list of movies I DON'T like would be shorter! Big Grin

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re WATERWORLD:
It was almost a carbon-copy of the infinitely better MAD MAX 2 (released in the US as THE ROAD WARRIOR). It was fairly entertaining, yes, but watch ROAD WARRIOR instead!

What about these - (a truly eclectic, off-the-top-of-my-head list):

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Walk the line
Beautiful girls
Memento
In the line of fire
The game
Life lessons (the Scorcese segment of New York Stories)
Children of men
Brazil (brilliant Terry Gilliam satire)
Gattaca
Gallipoli (superb Australian war film)
Murder my sweet (THE best film of a Chandler novel)
Raiders of the lost ark
12 monkeys
The sting
Any of Buster Keaton's silent films (far superior to Chaplin)
Vincent & Theo (almost unknown Robert Altman bio of Van Gogh)
Down by law
Dead poets society (isn't this every English teacher's favourite?)

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oz-crumley:

I take umbrage to that (but a very amiable umbrage), as I think Chaplin is perhaps the greatest filmmaker of all times.

Although Keaton was great, too.

We mustn't forget Harold Lloyd, whom I just adored.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
poettesse,

I see you like older films. They were so different back then. The ironies didn't need to be dropped upon our heads as is so common now. There seems to be a certain criteria or formula which goes into film making nowadays where the audience needs everything explained for them, and the characters always need to find redemption. Bette Davis and Peter Lorre could tell you all you needed to know with their eyes. The image of an anguished Bogart said more than any dialogue could.

There was a movie with Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway (forget title) where they play hardcore alcoholics and none of the characters grow or change by the end of the film. The film begins AND ends with Mickey Rourke in a drunken fistfight. It's beautiful. It's from the late 80s/early 90s but has the feel of the late 50s/early 60s.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BARFLY was the title of that odd little movie.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling sometimes that movies these days are 'dumbed' down for audiences. Maybe filmmakers want to be so sure audiences 'get' a point, they throw subtlety out the door and instead of a thought, emotion, etc. being expressed in the lifting of an eyebrow, the straightening of a spine, we get a dig in the ribs.....
There was a bit of dialogue in 'Amadeus' that kind of summed up this feeling for me. Salieri and Mozart were discussing the closing of 'Figaro' after only 9 performances and Salieri said "I think you overestimate our dear Viennese, my friend. You know you didn't even give them a good bang at the end of songs, to let them know when to clap."

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I take umbrage to that (but a very amiable umbrage), as I think Chaplin is perhaps the greatest filmmaker of all times.

Although Keaton was great, too.

Don't get me wrong - I agree that Chaplin was enormously innovative and made some fantastic films. I just think that as comedies, and on an emotional level, Chaplin's films do not really stand up over time as Keaton's films do. As well as being a truly inventive physical comedian, look at Keaton's face - so subtly tragi-comic, he makes you laugh and breaks your heart.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I went and saw "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" the other day.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And? How'd you like it? Smiler

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just think that as comedies, and on an emotional level, Chaplin's films do not really stand up over time as Keaton's films do. As well as being a truly inventive physical comedian, look at Keaton's face - so subtly tragi-comic, he makes you laugh and breaks your heart.

I don't know - when I look at scenes in The Kid and City Lights, I must differ.

I agree on the matter of Buster's face - it's wonderful!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poettesse:
And? How'd you like it? Smiler

Okay movie of an okay book; excellent acting and special effects.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turn on TCM - they're showing a Buster Keaton marathon til the wee hours.

Do it now.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip! Smiler

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
"Allegro Non Troppo"
"Shall We Dance?" (Original Japanese)
"Little Miss Sunshine"

What have they got in common? Not being part of the herd.

Oh, and "Mad Monster Party". Because I don't have to be a phony intellectual and for fond memories because I was nuts about it when I was a kid.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post