Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Favorite Movies / Movies You've Seen Lately / Holster That Flamethrower Thread
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"Because I don't have to be a phony intellectual and for fond memories because I was nuts about it when I was a kid."

Yup, that's why I love GODZILLA, JOHNNY SOKKO'S FLYING ROBOT, and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. Now that's film-making.

dragonfly,

Sacramento, eh? Me too. But why formerly? Did you leave. If so, lucky you. Leaving Sacramento has been dominating my thoughts lately, to the point of fixation.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a soft spot in my heart for "Kronos" and "The Crawling Eye".

Did we discuss Laurel & Hardy's "March Of The Wooden Soldiers" some time ago? Now that's film-making!

("...It certainly is, Stanny...")

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was the old B&W one with the woman's head on the table under a glass lid? I used to never miss that one.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh... found it. THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052646/

And some of these reviews are hilarious.

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Wouldnt-Die-Sp/dp/6303...id=1188594440&sr=1-1

posted Hide Post
quote:
Turn on TCM - they're showing a Buster Keaton marathon til the wee hours.

That's OK if you live in the US of A! I'll have to be content with my handful of Keaton's on VHS & DVD. I know THE GENERAL is his best known film, but I think my favourites are STEAMBOAT BILL JR. and THREE AGES.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Little Miss Sunshine"

While I did enjoy this film for its originality, I thought it was incredibly overrated (Best Picture nomination ?!).
And I really can't overlook the questionable way the grandfather sexualised the girl - I found her 'performance' near the end of the film disturbing and unfunny.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
"Because I don't have to be a phony intellectual and for fond memories because I was nuts about it when I was a kid."

Yup, that's why I love GODZILLA, JOHNNY SOKKO'S FLYING ROBOT, and WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS. Now that's film-making.================================================

=============================================
That's why I love 'The Shuttered Room' (1967)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062266/

and 'The Giant Gila Monster' (1959)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052846/

Both are great old horror movies, and although 'Gila' seems a bit campy today, I believe I'd still get a big chill from 'Shuttered.' Unfortunately, I don't think it's available on either VHS or DVD.
quote:
dragonfly,

Sacramento, eh? Me too. But why formerly? Did you leave. If so, lucky you. Leaving Sacramento has been dominating my thoughts lately, to the point of fixation. ================================================

I'd love to move out of the USA. I do love it, and love my state, but Scotland is the place for me.

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I LOVE that movie!

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I LOVE that film!

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
poetesse,

THE SHUTTERED ROOM must be extremely rare. Amazon.com does NOT have it listed in either VHS or DVD. They do have a couple of nice movie posters though. I'm totally addicted to amazon.com. I go there almost daily to read reviews, check prices, kill time... whatever. And this is the first time they haven't had an item I've searched for even listed. It's weird. I'm kinda trippin'. I've looked for some really obscure, off-the-beaten-path-kind-of-stuff and there's always been at least an "out of stock" thingy there, but with this movie there's nothing, nada, zilch. Just posters. I'm thinking it's never been released on VHS or DVD.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
Yes, 'The Shuttered Room' IS extremely rare! I've looked for it off and on over the years, but never found any trace of it at all.....until last night! I found this link:
http://www.cinemasirens.com/index.html
This site supposedly has the film on both VHS and DVD. I don't have the funds to order it right now, but once I do and actually click on the CC info, we'll see it it's legit or not!
Fingers crossed.....

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
I don't know..... that site seems pretty seedy. Try to trace where it comes from, where it's based, or where the merchandise will be sent from or where your money will be sent to. Because if it's overseas... forget about it. There's a lot of websites and online "sellers" from Romania and Thailand been ripping people off over the years. Even E-Bay was infiltrated by these guys.

posted Hide Post
TY for the warning. I know, I'm a bit wary, too. I've a pal who's checking on it for me.

By the way, saw part of a really funny movie tonight, called 'Idiocracy.' Had me laughing so loud the kids banged on the wallto let me know I was being, like, soooooooooo uncool, dude! Big Grin

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
Just watched The Friendly Persuasion for the first time properly. Previously saw it years ago, cut, full of commercials, and before having read the book. The movie gave me false expectations of the book, which was good but a bit of a letdown. This is a case of the movie being for the most part waaaaayyy better than the book! My favorite scene was when three man-hungry farm girls cornered young Josh, played by Tony Perkins, like cats toying with a squirrel. In the book Jess, the father, traveled alone and did not have Josh with him, more is the pity. Also anything with John Smith shirtless and wrestling, his sweaty body poised and trembling over his opponent, is never a waste of time! The only bad thing about this movie was Robert Fuller and Mark Richman should have switched parts. That would have transformed it into a great movie; as it was it was just a very good movie.

Also of note: the soldier who finally provoked Eliza Birdwell to react was named Buster. The name was around in 1862 despite Buster Keaton's claims of being the first human to use it.

Anyhow, since The Friendly Persuasion was the last book I read just before my dad passed away, I thought it only proper it be the first movie I watch after Ray Bradbury passed away and was not disappointed. It was totally worth ditching the chance to see Dark Shadows in the theater, to watch this at home.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top 20 Horror Films

1. Psycho
2. Jaws
3. The Silence of the Lambs
4. Bride of Frankenstein
5. Frankenstein
6. Halloween (1978)
7. Phantasm
8. An American Werewolf in London
9. The Shining (1980)
10. The Haunting (1963)
11. The Exorcist
12. Salem’s Lot (1979)
13. Nosferatu (1922)
14. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
15. Bram Stoker’s Dracula
16. Poltergeist
17. The Sixth Sense
18. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
19. Dead Alive
20. The Blair Witch Project
21. The Devil's Rejects
22. The Changeling

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post