Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Ray Bradbury Story Is The Most Unlike Ray Bradbury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Ray Bradbury Story Is The Most Unlike Ray Bradbury?
 Login/Join

posted
I just heard a radio adaptation of "The Skeleton". I'm sure that it was a faithful adaptation because it seems like it was read directly from the story, though I can't be sure because I've never actually read the story (and I'm not even sure what book it's in).

I was so surprised at it. This is a super-creepy horror story, and I don't think Bradbury has written anything else similar to it.

Have you read any RB stories that seem especially unique?

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"unique" is a big word. Two immediately spring to mind for me:

"Tomorrow's Child"

and

"The City"

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray started out writing a number of scary stories for WEIRD TALES in the 1940's, many of which have appeared in his subsequent short story collections. My personal favorite is "The October Game".

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, that's a good one, too.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury covers a lot of territory, but I'd say "Hopscotch" is atypical.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me where to find this short story (Skeleton)? What book is it in?

Posts: 31 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Phil's marvellous site:

Dark Carnival
The October Country
The Vintage Bradbury
The Stories of Ray Bradbury
Skeletons

And this magazine.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for subject matter and (especially) locale/setting, I'd say "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind" from The Golden Apples of the Sun.

Posts: 1 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 05 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i think cecy's "family" begged for an entire series. mr. bradbury could've chosen to write an entire collection a la "martian chronicles", based on this set of characters. but he didnt. one wonders why he refrained.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aprwitch:
i think cecy's "family" begged for an entire series. mr. bradbury could've chosen to write an entire collection a la "martian chronicles", based on this set of characters. but he didnt...

Ah, but he DID! It's called FROM THE DUST RETURNED. You can read a little about it on my website (direct link here), and also on this Wikipedia page.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you, phil. how did i ever miss this one? ive ordered a copy and wait on tippytoes for it's arrival.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post