Ray Bradbury Forums
What Ray Bradbury Story Is The Most Unlike Ray Bradbury?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/92610558

26 April 2009, 02:29 PM
DavidTVC15
What Ray Bradbury Story Is The Most Unlike Ray Bradbury?
I just heard a radio adaptation of "The Skeleton". I'm sure that it was a faithful adaptation because it seems like it was read directly from the story, though I can't be sure because I've never actually read the story (and I'm not even sure what book it's in).

I was so surprised at it. This is a super-creepy horror story, and I don't think Bradbury has written anything else similar to it.

Have you read any RB stories that seem especially unique?
26 April 2009, 04:59 PM
Mr. Dark
"unique" is a big word. Two immediately spring to mind for me:

"Tomorrow's Child"

and

"The City"
27 April 2009, 05:36 AM
Richard
Ray started out writing a number of scary stories for WEIRD TALES in the 1940's, many of which have appeared in his subsequent short story collections. My personal favorite is "The October Game".
27 April 2009, 02:50 PM
Mr. Dark
Yea, that's a good one, too.
28 April 2009, 11:56 PM
dandelion
Bradbury covers a lot of territory, but I'd say "Hopscotch" is atypical.
25 May 2009, 09:32 PM
DavidTVC15
Can anyone tell me where to find this short story (Skeleton)? What book is it in?
25 May 2009, 10:21 PM
Doug Spaulding
According to Phil's marvellous site:

Dark Carnival
The October Country
The Vintage Bradbury
The Stories of Ray Bradbury
Skeletons

And this magazine.

"Live Forever!"
05 July 2009, 01:41 AM
Maelo
for subject matter and (especially) locale/setting, I'd say "The Golden Kite, the Silver Wind" from The Golden Apples of the Sun.
25 July 2009, 07:13 AM
aprwitch
i think cecy's "family" begged for an entire series. mr. bradbury could've chosen to write an entire collection a la "martian chronicles", based on this set of characters. but he didnt. one wonders why he refrained.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?
25 July 2009, 09:23 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by aprwitch:
i think cecy's "family" begged for an entire series. mr. bradbury could've chosen to write an entire collection a la "martian chronicles", based on this set of characters. but he didnt...

Ah, but he DID! It's called FROM THE DUST RETURNED. You can read a little about it on my website (direct link here), and also on this Wikipedia page.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
04 August 2009, 06:09 AM
aprwitch
thank you, phil. how did i ever miss this one? ive ordered a copy and wait on tippytoes for it's arrival.

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?