Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Bradbury Story Got You Started?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
do u know of anyplace where i can get a summary on The Sound of Thunder????

Posts: 2 | Location: dothan al us | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Summer In A Day was the first Bradbury story I read, but I think my all-time favorite has to be Homecoming. I adore that story, and was thrilled with From The Dust Returned! That particular book wraps up all my favorite Bradbury elements into one handy-dandy volume. I remember crying like an idiot the first time I read Homecoming - yet another reminder of my own mortality, I guess. Anyway, it's a gorgeous little story. I love that peculiar, gothic melancholy that seems to belong only to Bradbury.

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
babylover--The actual story is so short, why don't you just give it a read? You won't be sorry!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when i was a freshman we read farenheit 451. i never read any of the books we were assigned, except that one! i loved it so much that i have read it about 20 times since! (finishing it only about half that! lol) i have never meet anyone else that has read that book! it's a shame! my dream since was to write the screenplay for it. i feel that i would do it justice. being that so many movies based on books don't. now that mel gibson is doing it, looks like my chance is gone! :O( oh well! hopefully he will do a great job on it!

Posts: 1 | Location: somewhere here not there | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just signed up for this board, so hope this works---
I can't remember what I read first- I've read so many books in my life- but no doubt Dandelion Wine is my favorite! It leaves me mentally and spiritually refreshed-
Found out yesterday that Ray is coming to Bakersfield February 28-
I am SO,SO,SO excited!!!!!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping up this thread for newer members.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first Bradbury story I ever read was "Skeleton" in an anthology of horror stories selected by actor Christopher Lee. This story impressed me enough to seek out other horror stories by Bradbury and eventually purchase THE OCTOBER COUNTRY, 27 years ago, which remains my all time favorite collection of his work.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 24 August 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Sean! The October Country is one of my top two favorites, too!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I scrolled through this thread, and realized I never noted what Ray Bradbury story got me started. What I have said in prior postings is that the very first Bradbury collection I ever read was THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN way back in the seventh grade. I have no recollection of reading any of Ray's work prior to that. Since the very first story in that collection was "The Fog Horn", and since I loved that first story and consequently found I could not stop reading THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, I would have to say that "The Fog Horn" is the story that got me started!

Posts: 2444 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny, Richard, because "The Fog Horn" is the very story Ray himself suggested to make a convert of somebody!

posted Hide Post
My first Bradbury story was "R Is for Rocket", the first story in the book of the same title.

Actually, I may be wrong. In one of my school books I read "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl", which may have been in the same year, but that was assigned reading.

But even before that I'd heard "The Small Assassin" as a radio adaptation.

So it's one of those three! But "R Is for Rocket" is the first one I chose to read, and the first one in print.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Richard, "The Fog Horn" was the first Bradbury story I read; it was in an English textbook when I was in 8th or 9th grade. This story is one of the reasons that "The Golden Apples of the Sun" is my favorite Bradbury collection.

Posts: 41 | Registered: 29 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is way cool!