Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 57 58 59 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Lisey's Story, a book Steve King calls his best.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently, I spent some time in the middle of the spectacular Adirondack Mts. situated 1.5hrs from our home. I am part of a region planning group which meets monthly in a different location. This month the conference was held in a rather secluded lodge, built around 1900. One of the highlights of my time there was what I discovered behind an extensive collection of contemporary bestseller titles, various board games, mementos, and other trivial items that will accumulate as the decades pass and people come and go.

The "book person" in me took over, however, as I ventured to take a closer look. Since everything in the impressive lodge was hand-toiled over a century ago, the room's dimensions were expansive and the storage areas along the wall and within closets were deep.

Behind the more current best sellers and games of Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit was a gathering of some very interesting authors. They were not on a train or scurrying about Mars, but rather hiding in the shadows, somewhat dust-covered. They were threatening to become (not soon, but some day) like the books handled by H. G.'s Time Traveler when he entered the room, listened to the spinning rings . . .and found the old, long-forgotten library!

Included:
The Novels of the Sisters Bronte.
Thornton Edition 12 Volumes. Wuthering Heights, Wildfell Hall 2 Volumes,Jane Eyre 2 Volumes, Villette 2 Volumes,Shirley 2 Volumes,Agnes Grey,The Professor,The Life of Charlotte Bronte. Published by John Grant, Edinburgh, 1924

Works of Charles Dickens
Published by Thomas Y. Crowell & Company c. 1890, NY (1890)
(I only saw Two Volumes, others may have been on a different shelf!?)

Works of Rudyard Kipling, 1910-1917
26 Volume Set, Works of Rudyard Kipling, 1910-1917 Doubleday , Page & Co. (This collection was present in its entirety!)

Outline of History, H.G. Wells
The Macmillan Company, New York, 1920. Hardcover. Book Condition: Very good. First Edition. 8vo. 2 Volumes. xix, 648pp; x, 676pp. Red cloth hardcovers with gilt titles on spine. Published November 1920

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
John C. Winston Co. Publishers Philadelphia
THE JOHN C. WINSTON CO. 1910 CIRCA, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 1910. LEATHER BOUND BURGUNDY.

Works of Imbert de Saint-Amand, DE SAINT-AMAND, Imbert Published by Scribner's, New York, 1891
(This collection was present in its entirety!)

Tales of a Traveller, by Washington Irving
Thomas Crowell & Co. 1897c.

The Works of Thackery, by William Makepeace
NY Harper & Bros. 1903 Hardcover Very Good+ with no dust jacket Illustrated by Thackeray #3963. 13 volumes. 3/4 red leather over red marbled boards & marbled endpapers. T.E.G. Some pages uncut. Biographical Edition, with biographical introductions to the works by Thackeray's daughter, Anne Ritchie.; B&W Illustrations

Guy de Maupassant: edition d’tretat
Private Printing(1000 printed) 1909-13

Works of Jane Austen. Edition deluxe
Mansfield Park, Nottingham Society

Most were in "good" to "very good" (maybe "excellent") condition, considering the lack of attention they have received for so long. The above info from notes and web references I have since made. Now, I am planning to initiate an F451 Mission. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post