Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Thanks, GS. Another title I've heard of, but have never read. I'll definitely give it a read.

Any other suggestions?

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else here like Robert Fulghum?

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got done reading Something Wicked this way comes in our english class. We also read the introduction to The Illustrated Man. I think Bradbury has a lot of good stories and I love the way he describes everything that he writes.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got done reading Something Wicked This Way Comes.. I will probably read a Stephen King book the next time I start a book just because that is usually what I read.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Just thought I'd throw this out there to give each of us, mainly me, a chance to talk about ourselves. <br /><br />What book are you reading currently?<br />What book did you just finish?<br />What book will you read next?<br /><br />I'm reading "Rendezvous With Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Almost halfway and loving it.<br />Just finished the "Foundation" trilogy by Isaac Asimov, and loved it.<br />Next I'll tackle "Neuromancer" By William Gibson, because Mr.Dark loved it.
I am not currently reading a book. I did just finish Something Wicked this way Comes which was good. And if I read another one it will probably be the illustrated man.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book I just ended was Bradbury's Something Wicked... We read it for class and I really enjoyed it. I'm also listening to a book on tape right now, and the next book I want to read it Frank Peretti's newest book. It looks really good, and I think it will be something like the Oath.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading CHILDHOOD'S END by Arthur C. Clarke. WOW! What an ending. Poetic and visual. It also contained a great deal of the kind of sadness one feels while reading THERE WILL COME SOFT RAINS, that feeling of suffering the ultimate loss. In the end, however, there is big-time redemption.

I'm reading NO BLADE OF GRASS by John Christopher now. It's another post-apocolypse story. In this one a virus kills all grasses on the planet. Livestock die, people die, riots ensue, bands of survivors invading or defending, cannibalism, mercy bombings, and a whole lot of fish and chips. This one is also 50's era Science Fiction. I love this kind of stuff, no cussing, no sex, just good clean fun. And did I mention cannibalism?

Next up....me thinks it will be time for something cheery. HAVE SPACESUIT, WILL TRAVEL by Robert A. Heinlein.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, and don't forget that anthem of the sixties "Stanger in a Strange Land" I grok it much.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got so complacent after reading "Stranger" and buying into all that "grokking" I had to remind myself that it just doesn't work in the real world, or was it the real world that reminded me.

============================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just finished NO BLADE OF GRASS by John (White Mountains) Christopher. It was great up until the rather weak and abrupt ending.

I'm now reading an anthology of stories entitled THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, plodding on thru my depressing Last Man/Apocolypse phase of studying this wonderful thing called "Science Fiction". Actually, much of this particular sub-genre of Science Fiction is more life affirming than it is depressing. I'm doing it for fun, not for school.

The first story in this anthology is by RB's old friend William F. Nolan. The story is called THE UNDERDWELLER. I had no idea Mr. Nolan was such a great author, as I absolutely loved the story. It's kinda like ZERO HOUR meets THE OMEGA MAN(movie)/I AM LEGEND(book). I'm gonna dig up as many stories by William F. Nolan as I can find, I know I have at least two more in various anthologies. The introduction to the story referred to it as being one of his "minor works". I can't wait to read his "major works".

The Heinlein YA/Juveniles will have to wait a little longer. I plan on reading around five of his classic 1950's young adult novels.

.....and Robots, I want to read more Robot stories. So much to read, so little time.

==============================

posted Hide Post
I just wrapped Peretti's "Monster." It managed to keep my attention--albeit just barely--but sort of fizzled-out. It wasn't nearly as taut a story as I had hoped...

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each time I read "Stranger" I grok it differently...
Right now I'm reading "The Meaning of Wife", by Anne Kingston. (No, that's not a typo-) An interesting look at how Western society views women and marriage.

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only read "Stranger" once and I think it may be the best book I've ever read. The only other books to impact me (jar my beliefs, change my ideals) that way are RB's F-451 and LAST AND FIRST MEN by Olaf Stapledon.

WALDEN kinda rattled my cage a bit, too.

==============================

posted Hide Post
"The Frontiersmen: A Narrative," by Allan W. Eckert. Gory and terrible real-life doings. Jacob Greathouse http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/explore/magazine/fallwin2002/logan.htm makes Sam Parkhill look like Saint Francis!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I personally am reading, and enjoying, The Waters of Centaurus by Rosel George Brown. But I have a few stacks of books needing reading, so I plan to read, Building Harlequin's Moon by Larry Niven and Brenoa Cooper, Venus plus X (not sure if that's the exact title) by Sturgeon, Best of Fantasy and Science Fiction 8th edition, and ten other anthologies. All that is on my to read list along with a long section for Bradbury. I bought his Wonderful Ice-cream Suit, 2nd hand, and while it's for plays I think I'd like to act it out some time: D. That and I still need to finish the Illustrated Man, Something Wicked this way comes, the Toynbee Convector (the actual story by that name was great! Super!), and on other book which's name I can't remember right now.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post