Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Current reading:

(1) God is Love (Encyclical) Pope Benedict XVI
(2) the Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple and His Lost Gospel (Will follow up with reading the actual gospel).
(3) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
(4) Guests of the Ayatollah

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg. A book about Katharine Hepburn that I didn't want to end. And A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren. I just started A New Kind of Christian by Brian McLaren (I'm hooked on him). And tomorrow I will be starting The Broker by John Grisham.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I finished Bradbury's Long After Midnight. It did not disappoint. I loved all of the stories especially The Blue Bottle (Love the Martian stories) and Interval in Sunlight (Also love the Mexican stories). Many times throughout it, I felt like crying and laughing, sometimes at the same time. I am now about sixty pages into Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. I started peeking at the first page while I was in the midst of Long After Midnight and intermittently read a few pages afterwards. Its something that I shy away from doing mostly because I like to give a book that I'm interested in my full attention, but sometimes it does occur usually when I am full of anticipation. So far, it's great. Next book to read is kind of up in the air. I like to switch around a bit and go from one end of the spectrum to the other and back again. No rhyme or reason other than variety. Possibly A Choice of Gods or City by Clifford Simak. Not to mention, I have a whole stack of books that I "saved" by pulling them out of the garbage to safety at work(they throw them out for minor damage). I work at a large bookstore. Mostly classics and a few modern bestsellers. I realized the other day that I have a hankering to read Count of Monte Cristo or The Man in the Iron Mask. I read Three Muskateers a number of years ago and was stunned by the complexity of the characters and plot, also the superb writing of Dumas. When I get tired (if ever) of the sci-fi kick I'm on, I may try those. Good bye, (God be with you) you all.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wrote about 10 pages of my F451 screen adaptation. Coming along pretty well I think, though it's hard to tell at such an early stage.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trace by Patricia Cornwell. Like Robot Lincoln I sometimes go to the far end of the spectrum.

On my flight back from Minnesota a young lady sitting next to me noticed that I was reading Dandelion Wine and mentioned that she had read F 451 and had really enjoyed it.
So we sat chatting about Ray and his works. It was nice to see a young person (23-25 maybe) who knows of and has read his works. I am going to have Ray sign a copy of F 451 and send it to her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like hearing and meeting people like you bi-plane who give without expecting anything in return. It always makes me want to give to that person and others at large, its inspiring!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon,
I am interested in finding out how long your screenplay turns out to be when it is finished. I adapted Dandelion Wine into a screenplay and it turned out to be 129 pages long. I'm just curious. Keep us posted. And good luck.

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished 'The Road Ahead,' by Bill Gates. This was a hardback I picked up at Goodwill, a first edition with the CD on the back sleeve. Nice, I suppose.

Amazed was I at his predictions. The only thing he got wrong was he said HDTV might not take off with consumers because of lack of channels and the cost...

Well, it WAS 1995. The disk didn't work. It was made for Windows 3.1 or '95 only. Darn...I was curious. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished Grisham's The Broker. It was a fast paced, fun read. And there were some great descriptions of Italian places. Made me want to re-read Follet's Pillars of the Earth with all its descriptions of Europe's awesome cathedrals.

Now its back to the stuff I actually have to think about.

posted Hide Post
Went to a beautiful bookstore in Black Diamond, Washington called Baker Street Books and met with the owner. The store is a converted tavern over a hundred years old and VERY nice. I ended up buying 'More Dangerous Visions,' by Harlan Ellison and the owner agreed to take on some Adventure Books titles and our poster.
A nice day all around.
It will take me a while to read the book. It's a big one. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Harlan Ellison. That's a name I haven't heard in a while. 30 years ago I read every book of his I could get my hands on. Back in the days when he was still the angry, 'young' man of science fiction.

posted Hide Post
There's a "Dangerous Visions,Too" too.

Posts: 28 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan completed, was a definite page turner, looking forward to the others in the series. Started Accelerando by Charles Stross, I love the title, hope it is good. Maybe Count Zero by William Gibson, not too terribly certain or too terribly concerned at the moment what comes next...

posted Hide Post
I just finished "Gilbert And Sullivan Set Me Free" by Kathleen Karr. Very enjoyable and thought-provoking. Based on a true story of a women's prison in the early 1900s. I actually listened to the "Full Cast Audio" recording (unabridged) as I went about doing this and that.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not like Accelerando, had to put it to sleep after about forty pages. Picked up Count Zero by Gibson instead, which I did enjoy although not quite what Neuromancer was. My hands, quicker than the eye, grabbed Kim Stanley Robinson's Forty Signs OF Rain off my stack. Sorry Grass, will shoot for reading Sturgeon Is Alive And Well next.