Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading ?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 49

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I've just started "The Middle East" by Bernard Lewis, which is history, not a novel. I'd like to read Rushdie sometime though - I think.
As for "insight into the Moslem culture"; I've known Moslems from different countries and different sects as well as Christians from Moslem countries, and have very different impressions from them all. I also recently read "Islam, a Short History" by Karen Armstrong, which sort of swamped me with names and dates and which, in my opinion, wasn't as well-written as the Lewis book promises to be.
I'll let y'all know...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What book are you reading currently?
What book did you just finish?
What book will you read next?

Currently reading Paycheck and Other Classic Stories by Philip K. Dick

Just finished (last night/this morning) The Contender by Robert Lipsyte

Most likely will next tackle either In These Times or For Whom the Bell Tolls - both by Hemingway

It's been harder for me to read as of late since most my time has been geared toward my own writing.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently almost finished with Dandelion Wine(read many times, still not enough), prior to that I read David Copperfield, which I struggled with until the last third of the book. Alot of Dickens books do that to me though. I love the classics especially seafaring tales, absolutely loved Mutiny on the Bounty, Two years before the mast, of course Moby Dick, Conrad is a struggle so far,very impressed also with Three Muskuteers( was there a ship in that?) I know I've digressed. Anyway, between putting David Copperfield down and picking it back up, I was reading various short story coll. by Ray like R is for Rocket and S is for space, also Martian Chronicles. My next book will be October Country. What amazes me is the amount of material you either forgot or just didn't pick up on the first or fifth time reading a great book. I am definately on a R.B. reading tangent. I have ordered way too many books lately. By the way, I'm going to throw this in, last night before bedtime, my ten year old son, Ryan started reading the Martian Chronicles( his choice, yes...)aloud to me. I don't think I have ever, and I mean ever realized how special a treat it is to have someone read aloud to them. It was just really neat and I don't think it was totally about it being my son either. It is a lost tradition, I beleive. Anyhoo, thats what I'm readin, sorry about the long wind.
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Just thought I'd throw this out there to give each of us, mainly me, a chance to talk about ourselves. <br /><br />What book are you reading currently?<br />What book did you just finish?<br />What book will you read next?<br /><br />I'm reading "Rendezvous With Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke. Almost halfway and loving it.<br />Just finished the "Foundation" trilogy by Isaac Asimov, and loved it.<br />Next I'll tackle "Neuromancer" By William Gibson, because Mr.Dark loved it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln,
Next to “Dandelion Wine”, “David Copperfield” is my favorite novel. Do I understand you to say that you put it down and then “finished” it? (I did the same). If so, what is your opinion of it. And what are the “other” Dickens that you have read?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31,

Yes, I put it down and read several Bradbury books in the interim, not because of any displeasure of the book, I loved it. The end was heartwrenching and rejoiceful simultaneously which I love and search out in any story or musical piece for that matter, or any great art piece at all for that matter as well. Must have equalibrium & balance. I think my problem with Dickens arises out of the fact that I beleive his books were released in serial form and the depth of detail and degree with which he forms his characters and stories sometimes stumps me because I'm not used to that particular style and without thinking consciously about it, I just pick up another book for a while. But when his plots, characters and bylines all bisect and come together, I think its uniquely stunning. Love Dickens. The other Dicken's I've read are Great expectations, Tale of two cities, A Christmas carol, and David Copperfield. I want to read more of his stories. I think its endlessly fascinating that books seem to find me when I'm ready, or need, to read them much like serendipity. Not unlike events that are life altering seem planned or controlled by the fates, God, or whatever. I collect books, can you tell. I do plan on reading more Dickens because I have almost all of his books, can you reccomend a good choice to read next? I also forgot to add in my last post that I greatly enjoy Stevenson. Love Treasure Island. But Bradbury is numeral UNO for me! Once again Chapter 31 and all, sorry about the long wind.
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Robot Lincoln,
Next to “Dandelion Wine”, “David Copperfield” is my favorite novel. Do I understand you to say that you put it down and then “finished” it? (I did the same). If so, what is your opinion of it. And what are the “other” Dickens that you have read?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not long-winded at all. I agree with all you say about Dickens. He’ll set up a lot of threads and go in many directions with them and then in a very satisfying way, he will tie them all together. I can read him forever just for the way he handles characters. His plots sometimes can be bare bones but it’s the flesh he puts on them that is the most satisfying. Having read “David Copperfield” I believe that you have read the most satisfying of his books but there is a lot to be said for “The Old Curiosity Shop” and “Oliver Twist”.

By the way, it sounds like you’ve got a pretty good deal going there with your son. Mark Twain said that childhood was “the best of life and the shortest.” But I think you can get a little of it back when you have a child in your life.

As to what I am reading now, I wont try and describe it other than to say it’s wonderful and pleasant. It is “The Peterkin Papers” by Lucretia P. Hale and considering the state of the world right now, it’s just my way of sitting “just quietly and smelling the flowers.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your very right about that, I've got three kids, Ashley 12, Ryan 10, and Aaron 8. I am sometimes miffedly referred to as the fourth one by my wife Susan. Ryan is the one who is reading Martian Chronicles to me, Aaron is reading Treasure Island, we trade off and take turns reading to one another. Ashley reads what she wants period, which is just fine. She recently read All about Winn Dixie. I try not to push anything too hard on them, just soft nudges. I'll have to check out The old Curiosity Shop. I used to collect more vintage books and I have a set of ancient Dickens books. They have amazing woodcut illustrations in them. Not that its related but I also collect coins, stamps, and telescopes(just three). My favorite being a 12.5" Dobsonian to which I have signed on its shroud by John Dobson, the inventor of it. I had it signed at a star party I went to in upstate Indiana about seven years ago. He was about 85 at the time and full of vigor, reminded me of a certain author. Are there any other serious amateur astronomers among this site? Love star gazing, have seen many wondrous sights in the night sky. A funny side regarding Copperfield is last week, I got my hair cut much shorter by accident by my own doing, also shaved my beard. My hair will not cooperate whatsoever now, I am just waiting for normalcy to return. I really do beleive I must resemble Traddles now. Oh well. I forgot how evil and slimy Uriah Heep was in that. Its now Sun. at 1:00, I finished Dandelion Wine late last night. I loved it when the Grandpa says the summer was over before it started. That really is how it is when you get older, things in life moving ever more swiftly. Its just from a different perspective than from Tom. I remember summers seeming to be endless as well. I also loved it when Douglas burned the cookbook(maybe in homage of another bookburner we all know)for Grandma thereby giving Mr. Jonas's gift to someone else in return. I started reading October Country too last night. I'm into The Next in Line. I just drank too much coffee last night and couldn't sleep. Read till 2:30 or so. Yesterday morning we had Pinewood Derby, then met friends and their kids at movies. Saw Pink Panther. Martin was great! Then had same friends over for dinner and another movie while kids played. We watched Into the Blue which was o.k. Thats when I drank too much coffee and readd quite late into the morning letting Bradbury carry me off into slumbers.
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
No, not long-winded at all. I agree with all you say about Dickens. He’ll set up a lot of threads and go in many directions with them and then in a very satisfying way, he will tie them all together. I can read him forever just for the way he handles characters. His plots sometimes can be bare bones but it’s the flesh he puts on them that is the most satisfying. Having read “David Copperfield” I believe that you have read the most satisfying of his books but there is a lot to be said for “The Old Curiosity Shop” and “Oliver Twist”.

By the way, it sounds like you’ve got a pretty good deal going there with your son. Mark Twain said that childhood was “the best of life and the shortest.” But I think you can get a little of it back when you have a child in your life.

As to what I am reading now, I wont try and describe it other than to say it’s wonderful and pleasant. It is “The Peterkin Papers” by Lucretia P. Hale and considering the state of the world right now, it’s just my way of sitting “just quietly and smelling the flowers.”

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
"I shall be far away"

Sorry to all about straying from subject matter, I will rein it in from now on.

posted Hide Post
RobotLincoln: best wishes for a safe upcoming President's Day! Do you and Braling II frequent the same circuitry evaluation center?

In reading your comments per pre-bed literature to/with kids (8-10) and your experiences with stuff from RB, we seem to be in parallel Bradburian universes...of sorts! Great. The classics are still loads of fun. Read on!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lincoln,Chap,
A Dickens novel that has become my favourite is his last completed one, "Our Mutual Friend". Wonderful characters! He takes about 300 pages to introduce and develop them, and another 300 or so to have them interact; so, it takes some patience to get through the book, but it's well worth it. Besides, once one gets involved with the characters, time flies.
fjp,
My friend Marvin and I both suffer from "...this
pain in the diodes all down my left side..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks,fjp451,& BralingII,
I seem to get down at this time of the year for some reason,lol. I doubt that I frequent the same center as BralingII. I use the K-mart electronics center. It may explain the leaky gasket in my main frame behind my skull plate. Also seems to cause great fluctuations in my ego system. Like a leaky tire you keep inflating and it keeps deflating. Thanks for the tip BralingII on our Mutual Friend, I have it but have not read it yet. I will someday. I just finished Next in Line last night. That part when they are in the catacombs is really scary stuff! The screams. R.B. is a wonderful horror writer, where some writers put it in your face, Ray leaves a gulf of the unknown lurking in the dark for your mind to cling to. It definately shows that its almost as important what you don't write in a story as the content you do.

Happy Presidents Day to All
Take Care,

R.L.

p.s. don't shoot anybody if you go quailhunting over the holiday!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
I tip my hat to your opinion of “Our Mutual Friend”.

Mr. Lincoln,
Short hair? Tommy Traddles? I associate Uriah Heep more with short hair, but not you. You come across more like Dan Peggotty with the family you describe. But if Tommy Traddles you be then draw a skeleton or two for me.--Best

“Miss Mills replied, on general principles, that the Cottage of content was better than the Palace of cold splendor, and that were love was, all was.” – David Copperfield, Chapter-37

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

posted Hide Post
Chapter 31,

I just meant my hair is currently unmanageable like Traddles. I would absolutely thrive living in a "boat" on the beach, maybe someday. I love the seashore and everything associated with it. Is your namesake derived from this book? It is a much worthy book, some books strike you with their power after the fact.

posted Hide Post
Fjp451, I checked out the websites, pretty neat. 42 eh?

Chapter 31, your quote is so true, if more people beleived that, the world would be a better place.
quote: