Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dana,

Fahrenheit 451 is the temperature at which paper burns.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that reading this book was a good decision; it shows us what could possibly happen if the media and government started to run our lives. Everyone would act like an empty shell of a body and just do as they were told, like the people before themselves. The book tells us that we should never judge each other because one day, that could be who we really are. Clarrise shows us that we can develop closer friends and influence people by just talking to them, not by trying to force an opinion or thought into their head. Faber shows us that books have great meaning and that books have quality, they aren't just there to give you one certain opinion, they are there to make you think and to help you understand the world around you. This book shows what the world could possibly become if we continue to be obsessed with technology and our government gets too much power for the people of the country to handle. I would recommend the reading of this book to other based on the fact that they should know the thing that they strive for the most, they want to be happy. If all you do is buy new things and try to satisfy yourself from day to day, you will not actually be happy when the day is over.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked how the book really got into Montag`s head. The book told you exactly how he was feeling at every point. This kept the readers interested in what was going on and what happened. Also Ray Bradbury wanted to keep the readers into the book so he added twists into the story to keep you on your toes. My favorite part of the book is when the Salamander pulls up in front of Montag`s house and he realizes that it is his house. This part intrigued me the most to keep reading because I wanted to find out what would happen. It was also a shock when Montag actually kills Beatty. The description was so clear you could picture it in you mind of what was all happening. When you can picture what is going on in the story it helps you to understand things a lot better.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 01 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked F 451 because "it made me think" haha. thats what everyone says

the duderino

Posts: 5 | Location: lemont | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jake flanagan:
i felt that the beginning of the book was a little slow and boring but as the story went on it got better. i dont know if someone else would like this book that much because of its slow pace in the first 50 pages.

I agree with you 100 percent.. i thought the book went very slow at the beginning and it was hard for me to concentrate, and I thought to myself no way am i reading this it pointless so i gave up... then a couple weeks later i decided to pick it back up and give it another try. Then once i got through the first 50 pages or so i started to enjoy it.. not only did i enjoy but i learned alot from it.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, il US | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fox:
I think the book was a little confusing but once Bradbury introduced Clarisse, it got more interesting. She adds a lot to the story with the simple question "Are you happy?" Stop and ask yourself that- "Am I happy?" Overall I liked the book but I think that there was just a little too much science-fiction. I didn't really understand what the mechanical hound was, but Bradbury has a great imagination. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes reading.

i also got lost several times... Clarisse didnt make much sense when she talked and the mechanical hound was pretty lame. Was it a robot dog that had a computer that looked at something and then typed it in to a computer?

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, il US | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes i also agree that the book was slow paced in the beginning. it was constant detail. im not saying details bad its just that i need to imagine things on my own. for instance, the robot dog, i had some thoughts on what it looked like. but then it ruined my thoughts when it said it had 8 legs and a huge neddle that came out of it. why not just say it was a robot spider. but when he gave detail on everything even the firepole it was just way too much. but everything else was great not to much detail and not to little to leave us wondering.

All THAT DETAIL! makes it slowwwwwww and boringgggggg.

the duderino

Posts: 5 | Location: lemont | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thinks its amazing how Ray wrote this book 50 years, or so, ago and kinda predicted the future. Well, predicted half the future. Novels, poetry and other literature aren't seen as important or as encouraged as they use to be. Yes, the TV has ended up taking up our time from reading. But, thankfully, we don't have a fire brigade like the one in "451". Its strange how our government wants stricter censorship, but say we need to read more. Again, in "451", half of society is there. Both of the governments want stronger censorship, but in ours it not generally about the books, more about movies and music.

Posts: 3 | Location: lemont, il usa | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked how we can relate Fahrenheit 451 to our present day in so many ways and how it points out some major issues. In Fahrenheit 451, they talked a lot about how TV was a major part of their lives.

When was the last time you read the newspaper instead of watching the evening news or Conan? One thing I have noticed is that the news on TV tries their hardest just to try to get your attention with reviews about the latest cell-phone gadgets instead of what the president said last night in a major speech. Who Jennifer Lopez just married or where Brad Pitt is vacationing is none of my business and I care more about what�s going on in the world than that.

Another problem is people revolve their schedule around TV. I hate it when somebody says they are busy watching TV or can�t do something because a show is going to start. I always thought TV was for free time when nothing else was going on.

My general point is that TV is great for laughs and relaxation, but when we start to live our lives on TV, it can be dull and meaningless.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tomass2887. Detail? Too Much? Heavens, don't read Moby Dick, then. It's all detail. Don't read the Bible. It's all detail. Very very detailed details. Don't read fine print. Too many details. Don't read contracts. You'll fall asleep. And by all means, don't get into a detailed conversation. We may ALL fall alseep.

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One question made me think throughout the whole book and it was "Are you happy?" which was said by Clarisse. I thought, what is happiness and how do we know if we're happy or not? We base our happiness on materialistic things, food, money, clothes, but do we have true happiness? Montag thought he had everything he wanted until he started thinking about that question. It turned his whole life around and changed his point of view. He changed his lifestyle and job, and was willing to risk his life just to find true happiness. He thought he might find the answer in books, but Faber warned him that the answer lied in him and not in books. He questioned his wife and started saving books instead of burning them. It's funny how a simple question can change a person's life. This book made me think about the past and future and what it holds for us. I recommend this book to anyone. It was brilliant.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, Il, US | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading the book F451. But it definatly had its slow parts. In the begining it was hard to catch on and get into it. I reallie got into it when Montag met Clairese. When Montag ment Clairese, everything started to change. I like how Bradbury made his character overanalyze a simple question asked to him by a young woman. Bradbury really made you think while reading the book. At times the story was creepy bcause it was written 'in the future' and now being 'in the future' how much of it has actaully ocme true!! I think that this book will be a book that can always relate to its time period. In another 10 years students and other people will be able to make the connection to things going on in the book to things going on around them at that time. The irony of the firefighters was intersting. Most people think of firefighters as people who put out fires and save people from them. In the book the firefighters start the fire and burn the people in their homes. This book reallie makes you think, and when a book makes you think about whats going on around you now, then its done its job well!

Posts: 3 | Location: woodridge, il, usa | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that the F451 was a very good book. Because it had a very good story line and everything was so different from what our world is today. I think it changed the veiw that some people had about fire fighters. What if firefighters really did burn books. It would change everything because books do mean so much in our world today. My favorite part of the book was when montag changed he decided that the world needed books, and started reading them. Because this was such an unusual thing to do. I would recomend this book to everyone because it is such a great read.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 02 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the book was pretty good, but there were some parts of it where i couldnt understand that were mare detailed but and te end of the book i got the meaning of it and i got the point that they were trying to get across.

alex fitzgerald

Posts: 2 | Location: lemont, illinois, united states | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Lemont, learn to spell. Im 8 and I spell better than you. By the way, my favorite part was when Montag killed Beatty with the flamethrower.

Posts: 12 | Location: Andover, Kansas, USA | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post