Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Politics 101 or Attack of the Pod People
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politics 101 or Attack of the Pod People
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
C.M. Christopher: You are exactly right.

No, he isn't. But I will defend your right to say so.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amen. Not the proper forum for petty and vindictive politics and name-calling. Again, I ask the moderators to reconsider.

...says the gentleman who has shown up regularly here to engage in the dialogue that he claims to eschew.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Like Popeye, "I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more." This is a forum devoted to the life, work and legacy of Ray Bradbury, one of this country's finest writers. I don't care whether someone is Republican or Democrat, or likes or dislikes the current President. This political nonsense has no place on this forum, and I am embarrassed to see how some individuals have been using (and abusing) this site. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Those who do not care for the politics thread are not required to come here and read it. Democracy allows it, but it is not forced on anyone.

I would be ashamed of myself if I were to sit idly by and let the horrible man and his horrible Congress do whatever they want without objecting. I will always resist the fascist, and then I will resist some more. It's one of the most important things we can do, and without peaceful protest, the democracy fails.

No place on the forum? I would suggest re-looking at the reasons RB wrote Fahrenheit 451 and then say again that politics has no place on the forum.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fahrenheit 451 is Bradbury's best-known novel, and "A Sound of Thunder" his best-known short story. Both deal with evil tyrants or dystopian dictatorships deluding the masses, controlling them into believing their way of life is not only the safe way but the ONLY way.

Bradbury also incorporated brilliant predictions of reality TV, fake news, and digital manipulation, with the incident in which the mechanical hound hunts down some person authorities wanted gone anyway, with a build similar to Montag's, and then digitizing his features to resemble Montag's for a "happy ending" portraying his destruction to the sheeple!

Both these works, as well as the others I cited, stand as dire warnings against EXACTLY what the United States is now experiencing on a daily basis, sadly in many cases willingly by the poor dumb rubes deluded into believing the regime will destroy their enemies so they can party like it's 1945 (or 1984)! Now tell me again how irrelevant the politics thread is!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: You’ve made your point.

Ken

Posts: 25 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 29 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the pod people attacking this thread won't see the very thing we're warning them against. There is no easy answer. Resist. Always.

If they can learn nothing from Nazi Germany, then they can learn nothing. They even have a historical model from which to learn! How much easier can the truth gods make it for people?!

And speaking of Nazi Germany, did you know that they take ownership of their past? They don't whitewash anything for the kids in school. Watch every minute of this - all four!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Sadly, the pod people attacking this thread won't see the very thing we're warning them against. There is no easy answer. Resist. Always.

If they can learn nothing from Nazi Germany, then they can learn nothing. They even have a historical model from which to learn! How much easier can the truth gods make it for people?!

And speaking of Nazi Germany, did you know that they take ownership of their past? They don't whitewash anything for the kids in school. Watch every minute of this - all four!

From another classic!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
C.M. Christopher: You are exactly right.

No, he isn't. But I will defend your right to say so.

I DID defend your right to say so. 20 year US Air Force veteran, flew combat missions in Operation DESERT STORM, Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.

You're welcome.

He said, "You're -- You're not waiting anymore, are you, Chris?"

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion does indeed make the point brilliantly—as well as it can possibly be made, in fact.

Nevertheless, I strongly dislike the political discussions on the Bradbury board. Firstly, any relevance to the works of Ray Bradbury always quickly wrenches free of any relevance to the man's works and becomes a free form hate fest. The heat and intensity of these discussions do not feel appropriate to the board and its stated purpose and leaves—I am putting this very mildly—some members of the board feeling disaffected with one another. And that is completely counterproductive to what we want: building a community dedicated to preserving, fostering and promoting the works of Ray Bradbury.

Secondly, please don't tell me that politics "are relevant" to the Bradbury board. I am not a child. I am perfectly capable of grasping such a facile point. I would pose a different question: There are thousands of places on the internet where the left and right can throw mud pies at each other. Why do you CHOOSE to do it here? Your RIGHT is acknowledged. Why exercise the choice to foul the atmosphere in an otherwise notably peaceful and amicable group by staging the fight here?

Thirdly, it chagrins me to see temperatures driven up, buttons pushed, and missiles fired on the Bradbury discussion group when there's a political discussion, while any discussion of Ray Bradbury and his actual books elicits a response so feeble that the silence can be heard in interstellar space. Any discussion of politics swiftly and brutally overwhelms any topic that more directly involves our love for Ray Bradbury. So the "relevance" is just a fig leaf. When one of these shouty threads gets underway, it's politics you want to discuss, not Ray Bradbury. Be honest about it, and spare us the sophistry.

Follow the example of dr. Nichols, one of our most distinguished members. I know Phil. He has political opinions, and they're not feeble ones, either. But does he bring them here? Of course not. He has the taste, discretion and good judgement not to. Be like Phil.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys are so full of it. what has trump done? wheres the russia bullshite now? what did ray think of capitalism? did obama do anything wrong ever? iran/uranium one/ hezzbolah? i know i spell bad. but at least im paying attention and love my country and the writer of this site..... please 451? that was hillary and obamas wet dream... you jokers. you fakes. you ruiners of a great site and writers legacy.. gross. now be actual fascists and burn the words you dont like erase the history that doesnt fit your sides view

but why?

Posts: 138 | Location: earth? | Registered: 01 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh and happy new year 2018 GO TRUMP!! GO MAGA!! NOT TIRED OF WINNING AT ALL

but why?

Posts: 138 | Location: earth? | Registered: 01 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I PRAY TO JESUS FOR GERMANY AND SWEDEN AND FRANCE

but why?

posted Hide Post
PRAY FOR GERMANY ENGLAND SWEDEN AND FRANCE

but why?

posted Hide Post
and any jewish people who live there especially..... hey speaking of hitler..... makes you think

but why?