Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Politics 101 or Attack of the Pod People
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politics 101 or Attack of the Pod People
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by C. M. Christopher:
Congratulations! You're the winner of the "Godwin's Law" award for this thread!

It's interesting that you think that, because there was once a Hitler, there can never be another fascist - almost like the existence of the man renders the very possibility of there ever being another person who holds to fascist ideals impossible, and that this person cannot exist. How is that, exactly?

Oh, dandelion... you have, no doubt, noted already (on many forums) how the trumpkins will defend Donald no matter what he says or does, and it's this very relaxing of their bodies into the frog soup currently being prepared that is so frustrating to see, knowing that they (and all) will see it, as always, too late.

Scary, ain't it?

Although I have pretty much given up trying to talk sense into their petrified brains, I believe that this thread and as many others of its kind as possible should stand as evidence that they were warned! "Don't say you weren't warned" should be carved in stone so some evidence may perhaps survive utter destruction.

Comparing Obama to the current Horror in the White House is like comparing Hitler to Roosevelt and Churchill and then saying, "Well, they weren't perfect, either."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Although I have pretty much given up trying to talk sense into their petrified brains..."

A person with a closed mind talks but does not listen.

You have yet to actually provide any evidence for your concerns about Donald Trump ... I have been listening, and all I have heard is, "he's awful, and I don't like him."

By the way, Ray Bradbury's politics must have been very frustrating to you ... apparently, he had a petrified brain as well: Ray Bradbury Loved Reagan, Called Clinton a 'Sh*thead'

Ray Bradbury on JFK, Ronald Reagan and Sensible Economics
From Listen to the Echoes: The Ray Bradbury Interviews by Sam Weller
(Brooklyn NY: Melville House, 2010), 170-171.

WELLER: Do you consider yourself conservative, liberal, or moderate?

BRADBURY: You mustn’t put labels on people. This is what is important: Somebody somewhere along the line had to give the taxes back to the people. Roosevelt never did it, Hoover never did it. They could have cured the Depression in 1932 when my father was out of work for ten years. My father suffered. They should have given him back his tax money. Nobody thought of that, and nobody did anything. Kennedy was the first to experiment with it. The year before he died, there were a few experiments with giving the taxes back, but there was never the chance to really experiment fully, and he died. So it was never mentioned again until Reagan came along and cut the taxes, and then we began to get jobs. When he came into office, there were millions of people unemployed. He lowered taxes all over the United States and created millions of jobs. . . . So Reagan’s experiment worked. That’s not being conservative, that’s not being anything except sensible.

WELLER: Sounds to me like fiscal conservative thinking.

BRADBURY: No, no. No labels. I don’t believe in them.

He said, "You're -- You're not waiting anymore, are you, Chris?"

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad Ray disapproved of labeling people, as at least 500 what might be termed labels apply to the creature in the Oval Office, all bad.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
I notice Doug did not respond to the challenge. Typical.

Indeed. I am not interested in responding to nonsensical challenges. I made a simple, accurate statement, and it remains simple and accurate.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Scary, ain't it?

Although I have pretty much given up trying to talk sense into their petrified brains, I believe that this thread and as many others of its kind as possible should stand as evidence that they were warned! "Don't say you weren't warned" should be carved in stone so some evidence may perhaps survive utter destruction.

Comparing Obama to the current Horror in the White House is like comparing Hitler to Roosevelt and Churchill and then saying, "Well, they weren't perfect, either."

Yes, it is. Equally scary is that multitudes fail to learn anything from history no matter how many times they are bitten.

And the lengths they will go to to excuse the horrors are unbelievable: "I can't possibly defend Donald in this so I'll bring up Hillary or Barack because it's the only way I know how to argue." Maddening.

I'll tell you what - juvenility is a wonderful thing when we are living a Bradburian life of passion in all the wonder we see around us; but in politics we better be grown up.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have yet to actually provide any evidence for your concerns about Donald Trump ... I have been listening, and all I have heard is, "he's awful, and I don't like him."

Well, here's something more than "he's awful." Enjoy!

https://www.theguardian.com/co...-fascist-sympathiser

https://newrepublic.com/minute...donald-trump-fascist

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...454ae4b0563cd36f6471

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.d370030b4f0e

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.62415dbe10a2

http://www.slate.com/articles/...scism_weighs_in.html

I would have posted more, but I got tired - so many!

Now, dandelion and I will wait for the first defenses to start arriving. First, the publications themselves will be called into question and ridiculed, and then the man himself will begin to be defended ("oh, yeah - well, how about Obama?!" is a well-loved standby).

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted:
I notice Doug did not respond to the challenge. Typical.

Indeed. I am not interested in responding to nonsensical challenges. I made a simple, accurate statement, and it remains simple and accurate.

For those wishing challenges: name enough good things about Kim Jong Un to convince me he's a great guy I would want to pal around with!

For bonus points do the same with Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden, or other dictator of your choice. Even serial killers have some good points!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll tell you what - juvenility is a wonderful thing when we are living a Bradburian life of passion in all the wonder we see around us; but in politics we better be grown up.

Exactly why I posted this on my Facebook page:

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, here's something more than "he's awful." Enjoy!

https://www.theguardian.com/co...-fascist-sympathiser

https://newrepublic.com/minute...donald-trump-fascist

https://www.huffingtonpost.com...454ae4b0563cd36f6471

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.d370030b4f0e

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.62415dbe10a2

http://www.slate.com/articles/...scism_weighs_in.html

I would have posted more, but I got tired - so many!

Now, dandelion and I will wait for the first defenses to start arriving. First, the publications themselves will be called into question and ridiculed, and then the man himself will begin to be defended ("oh, yeah - well, how about Obama?!" is a well-loved standby).

Thanks heaps for saving me a ton of work. I started to do something of the kind--not identical, as you say, with so many choices--but settled instead for this:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
For those wishing challenges: name enough good things about Kim Jong Un to convince me he's a great guy I would want to pal around with!

I hear that Donald is going to rename the subway station under the 9/11 Memorial "The Kim Jong Un Memorial Subway Station."

I kid, I kid... but it makes as much sense as Jerusalem's new Donald Trump Rail Station, yes?!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
As I suspected -- the only responses you have are name calling and posting opinion pieces from clearly left-wing "news" sources.

Not surprising, just disappointing

He said, "You're -- You're not waiting anymore, are you, Chris?"

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C.M. Christopher: You are exactly right.

In my view, not the proper venue for political and personal attacks. Should focus on Bradbury and his works. I've made my objections known. Both moderators have seen my comments, and have chosen to ignore them and allow this juvenile name-calling and 3rd-grade thinking to continue. Too bad. It hurts the credibility of this Bradbury discussion board.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Popeye, "I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more." This is a forum devoted to the life, work and legacy of Ray Bradbury, one of this country's finest writers. I don't care whether someone is Republican or Democrat, or likes or dislikes the current President. This political nonsense has no place on this forum, and I am embarrassed to see how some individuals have been using (and abusing) this site. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen. Not the proper forum for petty and vindictive politics and name-calling. Again, I ask the moderators to reconsider.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I suspected -- the only responses you have are name calling and posting opinion pieces from clearly left-wing "news" sources.

Did I do a name call? Where did I do that?

"Left-wing" sources! Ha! I knew it. In fairness, I did try to go to more reputable sites like Alex Jones' Infowars, but all I could find were some stories about Obama Is “Global Head” of Al-Qaeda, the government created homosexuality, and faked both the Las Vegas shootings and the moon landing! So I had to go back to less-reputable sources like the Washington Post.

"Live Forever!"