Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hi! I am new and I have been inspired
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi! I am new and I have been inspired
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
biplane1, in that dream are we all really there, or are we projected on the walls of a room (as in "The Veldt")? That would keep the travel costs down, but I don't know who would pay for installing the wallscreens...

Hmmmm, I'll wager the travel would be cheaper than the wallscreens, especially if our benefactor collected frequent-flyer miles. Then we could meet at a really cool central location....Scotland, maybe? Big Grin

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI y'all, I'm from Texas too. I HATE cliches but there is something about the Texas accent (East Texas in my case) that begs to modify the English language for the sake of convience and comfort. Phrases like "Where y'all goin'?".."We'r fix'n tago to thu Mall"....Oh man! I love it! We got it made!
I'll see yew some more later.

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some thoughts on pronouns, prompted by poetesse's Texan comments:

I live in a part of England known as "the Black Country" (so called because it was at the heart of the smoke and dirt of the industrial revolution).

The local folks (I'm not one of them; I'm an interloper from another part of the country) tend to muddle their pronouns around, so you often hear sentences like "Her went to the shops", or "Her got up early this morning", or "we am going on holiday".

"We am" is often abbreviated to "we'm"

Other features of this bizarre dialect are the use of "aww" for "yes", and "caw" for "can't".

Travel about twenty miles in any direction from here, and the local accent changes completely. So much so, that you would think the Black Country is an island. (But it isn't.)

Thinks... I wonder how Black Country folk would get on in Texas...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interloper is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother's friends from London, who came to America after before the war, always said Aye for Yes, though not a seafaring family. I have often wondered about that usage.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, "Aye" is very widely used in the British Isles. I believe Scots, Irish and Welsh use it, and people from the north of England use it. People from the west and middle of England tend to use "arr" rather than "aye". Only those from the south east of England tend not to use it.

So maybe those Londoners came from a family which had roots elsewhere in England.

(Aye is also used in all the armed forces, not just the navy.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KISS is a good band. tho their best song is a rolling stones cover.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randomyork:
HI y'all, I'm from Texas too....

OMG, well howdy, randomyork, how in the heck are ya? Nice to find a fellow survivor...emmmm....I mean fellow Texan here in the Bradbury forum! Are you a Larry McMurtry fan as well? Smiler

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor

Posts: 50 | Location: The not-so-wild, wild west, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I live in a part of England known as "the Black Country"......Thinks... I wonder how Black Country folk would get on in Texas...

Ah, the West Midlands! I've not been there but once was engaged to a man who grew up there....Do 'the natives' still say "'Ow B'ist?"

I spent some time in Peterborough years ago, with my then-fiance and some visiting Scots. I had so much fun listening to the accents/dialects that I hardly saw the scenery! I have to say the Scots were especially 'colourful,' and it seemed sometimes that they were speaking an entirely different language. Here are a few examples that may amuse:

'Awae an' bile yer heid ya numpty, ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot!' which means 'Oh, shut up, you fool, you don't know what you're talking about!'

and

'It wisnae me miss, Ah didnae stick his heid doon the cludge, honest.' which means 'It wasn't me, miss, I did not stick his head down the toilet, honest!'

I also loved all the words for intoxicated: stocious, pished, fou, iled up, moroculous, steamin', blootert and buckled.

Texans are friendly and inquisitive, as a rule, and when they hear a 'different' accent they will somehow find a way to ask the speaker 'Where y'all from?' Well, one thing that struck me about the people I encountered in England--when I would go into shops, banks, the post office--is that they were highly curious about my accent, and seemed astonished that I knew how to make change, knew what postage to ask for and etc., but NO ONE ever asked me where I was from! My fiance explained that it was just the legendary British reserve. I thought it was cute.....

I miss the UK......

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
I've never heard "Ow b'ist". Maybe it's form a different part of the midlands. What I do hear a lot is "Tararabit!" (Which means "ta-ta a bit", which means "goodbye for now".)

poetesse, your Scots is well written. You must have a very good memory!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
In days of yore, MAD magazine was wont to proclaim, "It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't argue with that!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
poetesse, your Scots is well written. You must have a very good memory!

Thank you! Yes, I have a pretty good memory, but then I'm nigh-near obsessed with auld Alba (my grandfather was Glaswegian.) I've stayed in touch with my former fiance and all 'the guys' and have made more Scottish friends over the years so I hear or read their enchanting dialects almost daily, and have been made an honorary 'hen.'
Oh, and apparently 'Ow B'ist' is--or was--a typical greeting: "How beist thou?" I like that one better than, 'Hey, howya doin'?'

Tararabit!

~~Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
HI Poettesse, Philnic and Braling ll! I hope you have a great week.

Posts: 126 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randomyork:
HI Poettesse, Philnic and Braling ll! I hope you have a great week.

Ta very mooch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post