Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

copyrights
 Login/Join

posted
Hello there, I'm a Student of Film at the University of Winnipeg in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, and I was inspired to write a screenplay that parellels "The Crowd" (1943). I've modernized it and the story is different, but the concept is the same, that this crowd decides whether a person lives or dies and that the main character discovers this crowd. Anyway, I'm wondering ho difficult it would be to get permission to show this film publicly and so on. If anyone reads this who knows how to contact the owner of the copyrights for this story, please reply.
Thank You
Wesley Grycki
University of Winnipeg

Posts: 2 | Location: Winnipeg B | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley,

As well as being a Bradbury fan, I teach film and video production at a University in the UK. Legally, to be able to show your film in public, you would need permission from the copyright holders. The relevant contact address for Ray's agent can be found here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much. If the film ever gets past the School Project stage, I'll be sure to post it on here.

Wesley Grycki
University of Winnipeg

Posts: 2 | Location: Winnipeg B | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Crowd" was one of my favorite Ray Bradbury short stories.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Col. F: 3 wonderful narratives (and maybe the inspiration of your moniker!?) are from DW and some of my all time favorites:

Ching Ling Soo (a real vaudeville character-I believe), the mighty herd of Plains buffalo (with Pawny Bill as scout), and the Civil War reflections ("Shiloh," a lovely name and a shame to be remembered only on battle records). There is a great deal of history in the masterpiece that Dandelion Wine is!

When I am teaching this in Frosh lit., I get caught up in the poetry and we end up reading 70% orally so as to hear and feel the words. It is almost as if an atmosphere permeates from the book at certain points in the narration. Then, "Drummer Boy of Shiloh," s.s., is another example of RB's magic in producing such and affect. And so many others...of course!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post