Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The RAY BRADBURY "limited editions" thread....
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The RAY BRADBURY "limited editions" thread....
 Login/Join

posted
Thought it would be nice to have a general thread about these unique books. They have been published by the likes of Hill House, Gauntlet, Subterranean, even the famous Limited Editions Club. I love these kinds of editions, beautifully illustrated and created by those who know that a book itself can be a work of art.

So lets toss around comments and critiques of past and forthcoming books.....should be fun. Smiler

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for starting this thread. I am also very thankful for these editions. It is good that these publishers appreciate the "art of collecting" in that many of these editions are geared for both the fan and the collector. My only critique would be that many of these editons (or many exclusives) fall out of the price range of most "normal working people" - I am still aching from the fact that there are unpublished Martian stories that I don't have access to.

* shakes fist at the sky

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have 14 signed/limited of Ray's

Favorites are

Fahrenheit 451 (Graham) I LOVE the artwork!!!

Halloween Tree (Gauntlet) Great metal slipcase!!

Martian Chronicles (Subterranean) Because it's a BIG OLE book of MC goodness!!

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
22, including three proofs Donn Albright gave me, and my prides and joys, DARK CARNIVAL and THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES: The Compleat Edition.

I prefer to get the unsigned editions (far less expensive) and then take them over to Ray's to sign for me.

I also have a few pieces such as original manuscripts, and personal correspondence, as well.

I do enjoy my little collection, but certainly have far to go.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a soon to be published script?

http://bielerpressvi.blogspot..../06/forthcoming.html

Still in the pre-printing stages - paper - binding - pricing - not yet set.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Yep...it counts! I didn't know Terry McVicker had anything in the works...

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was COMPLETELY unaware of the Graham edition of "451" until it was mentioned here.

How is this possible? What a bonehead I am!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carcosa:
quote:

Yep...it counts! I didn't know Terry McVicker had anything in the works...

Live and learn...live and learn. Smiler

For those who have not gotten the new Easton Press 451, it uses the artwork of the L.E.C. edition. I loved the book so much I ordered a second copy.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My own favorite Bradbury limited is probably THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES by The Limited Editions Club. It's a very LARGE volume in it's overall trim size, dwarfing even the Subterranean edition....and it has those wonderful Mugnaini illustrations to boot.

The Subterranean book is beautiful, but the binding was a total missed opportunity I think. It needed a more colorful cloth and marbled paper choice to really match the terrific internal design and illos.

posted Hide Post
quote:
For those who have not gotten the new Easton Press 451, it uses the artwork of the L.E.C. edition. I loved the book so much I ordered a second copy.

It looks to have a great binding design. Is it the same trim size as the original LEC?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It looks to have a great binding design. Is it the same trim size as the original LEC?

I'm too lazy to get the key and open the cabinet but at a glance'd say the LEC is larger.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
My own favorite Bradbury limited is probably THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES by The Limited Editions Club.

I have this one too - very nice, indeed!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Subterranean has done VERY well in their presentations, although I think GOLDEN APPLES needed to have the Mugnaini illos present.

Ray has spread his special edition books around to a few publishers now, and the one I'm least fond of is PS Publishing. I don't like their "printed" paper bindings at all, and their artwork reproduction in R IS FOR ROCKET and S IS FOR SPACE is very poor.

posted Hide Post
I was very happy when Gauntlet released Dark Carnival. I also have the wood box slipcase eiditon of Farenheit 451.

I spent hours trying to justify the cost of the Martian Chronicles. I honestly could not affort it. But it kills me to know there are unread Martian stories out there.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One limited that doesn't get much mention is CAT'S PAJAMAS from Hill House. I was lucky to get a copy off of eBay for $100 a few years ago. It's a beautifully designed book, and never actually ever sold out with the publisher to my knowledge.

Ah, Hill House...what can you do?