Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
patrask: just what does that mean? I can't make hide nor hair of your quote.

Dear Phil,
What I mean is: because you find a belief in something does not make it reality, the truth may lie elsewhere, and may contradict what you choose to believe. Follow the path to find the truth, adjust your beliefs as new data arrives on the scene and adjust your mind to the new truth and be free -er than you were.

There is no absoute truth in the world at anytime, only our percention of it, as we reach out and attempt to understand the universe and our place in it, which is the only way we, as Humans, can get closer to God, or the architect of the universe, the One, the Unknowable, and what moves us all to reach for the stars.

Thus: I seek God in truth, not truth in God, as I do not yet and may never know God, but I approach the Unknowable in little baby steps each day and feel the journey to be very worthwhile and satisfying.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"For most men life is a search for the proper manila envelope in which to get themselves filed."

- Clifton Fadiman

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask!
Lately I've taken another avenue when I talk to people about truth. It always has been a nasty term. Nowadays, especially in Europe, it is a very nasty term. Everyone now says they have their own definition of truth. So I can only tell them about myself. I cannot convince them of anything.

So, let me say something about what I believe about truth. And, this is what I believe and know.

Truth exists. Life could not exist without it. And it is inherent in our birth. Even tho inherent in birth, that doesn;t mean someone recognizes it. For truth is also in creation, the marvels of mountains, even to the starry heavens.

Ultimately, truth is known as truth because it makes sense of everything, usually all at once, including things we cannot know.

I am a Christian now, not because I was seeking Jesus, but I was seeking something that I later discovered was truth. That's a long story. But in a nutshell, truth seeks the person first. And if he is willing, the person seeks truth. It doesn't work any other way.

I cannot search for truth unless truth draws me to it. Truth is much smarter than me. And truth demands that embrace it or it will let me self-destruct., which is, by the way,

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Quote of the Day, folks - take it to the Orange Crop. And shake hands."

- Doug Spaulding

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I know men; and I tell you that Jesus Christ is not a man. Superficial minds see a resemblance between Christ and the founders of empires, and the gods of other religions. That resemblance does not exist. There is between Christianity and whatever other religions the distance of infinity!"
-- Napoleon Bonaparte

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and his will confounds me. Between him and whoever else in the world there is no possible term of comparison. He is truly a being by himself. His ideals and his sentiments, the truth which he announces, his manner of convincing, are not explained by human organizations or by the nature of things."
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The unadulterated love of one person can nullify the hatred of millions."

- Mother Theresa

Despite my feelings for the RC church, that woman is truly an inspiration and a saint!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
“Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others.”

- Oscar Wilde

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading."

- G. M. Trevelyan

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Jesus Christ is the most unique person in history. No man can write a history of the human race without giving first and foremost place to the penniless teacher of Nazareth."
--H.G.Wells

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Make no mistake: If Christ rose at all
it was as His body;
if the cells' dissolution did not reverse, the molecules reknit,
the amino acids rekindle,
the Church will fall."

~John Updike

posted Hide Post
"He was someone who acted out our psyches. He somehow got into the shadows inside our bodies; he was able to nail down some of our secret fears and put them on-screen. The history of Lon Chaney is the history of unrequited loves. He brings that part of you out into the open, because you fear that you are not loved, you fear that you never will be loved, you fear there is some part of you that's grotesque, that the world will turn away from."

- Ray Bradbury on Lon Chaney (126 years old today)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author."

- G. K. Chesterton

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"You're born, you die, gotta do something in between."

- J. Ambing Grimmlaw

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"By Grace you have been saved! No man can say this to himself. Neither can he say it to someone else. This can only be said by God to each one of us. It takes Jesus Christ to make this saying true."

--Karl Barth

posted Hide Post
"A boy can learn a lot from a dog: obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down."

- Robert Benchley

"Live Forever!"