Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
On Sunday, May 3rd, CART presents a tribute to Ray Bradbury and Norman Corwin on the occasion of Mr. Corwin's 99th birthday.

Scheduled to appear at this live presentation of Ray Bradbury's space tale, LEVIATHAN 99 are:

William SHATNER, Sean ASTIN,
Norman LLOYD, Samantha EGGAR,
Richard HERD, Walter KOENIG,
and H.M. WYNANT
Also John HARLAN, Robert LEGIONAIRE
and Sky McDOUGALL

Both Mr. Bradbury and Mr. Corwin
will attend the performance.

LEVIATHAN 99 will be presented at
2:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 3rd,
at the Writers Guild of America Theater,
135 South Doheny Drive, Beverly Hills.

Reservations required!

A limited number of tickets for this exclusive event are available for purchase through our box office link.

If you are a member in good standing of the Writers Guild or an invited guest of CART, complimentary seats for you and one guest are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

http://cartaudio.org/

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Norman Corwin, besides being one of Ray's oldest and dearest friends (Ray credits Corwin with encouraging Ray to travel to New York on the journey that resulted in the sale of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES to Doubleday), is one of the most influential writers, producers and directors in the history of modern radio. And according to his website, Mr. Corwin's father lived to be 112! (Talk about good genes!) I remember as a college student, I was a fan of the composer Bernard Herrmann and bought an LP containing Mr. Corwin's 1945 radio show, ON A NOTE OF TRIUMPH, a show celebrating VE day for which Mr. Herrmann write the music. I bought the album for the score, but after listening to the show written by Mr. Corwin I became a huge fan of his as well. Here is a link to the website devoted to this remarkable gentleman:

http://www.normancorwin.com/

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Mr. Corwin's father lived to be 112! (Talk about good genes!)

Norman's big-brother is still kicking at 106.

(No male, on either side of my family, has yet to survive to 60. I'd better start getting my affairs in order.)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John: It is up to you to break the mold.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
John: It is up to you to break the mold.

If you knew the women in our lives you'd know why... Eeker

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little-known fact: Bradbury originally wrote Leviathan '99 as a radio drama with the intention that Corwin should direct it. Initially this was to be for NBC radio, subsequently for BBC radio.

As things turned out, Corwin didn't get to direct the BBC version (the job went to H.B.Fortuin instead).

And Lev '99 went on to become a stage play, an opera and a novella!

There's more on the history of Lev '99 here.

Incidentally, I envy anyone who is able to attend this CART event! I hope they record the performance and release it commercially. Previous productions (full catalogue here) include several very good Bradbury adaptations.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Incidentally, I envy anyone who is able to attend this CART event!

Philnic: You'll be there in spirit.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...Philnic: You'll be there in spirit.

Like Marley's ghost!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...Philnic: You'll be there in spirit.

Like Marley's ghost!

In case you cannot make it to the actual event, rehearsals are at 11:30 a.m. that same day.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
John, Thanks so very much for all your kindness Mr. B 's fans and friends. Reading the wonderful emails and especially SEEING an assortment of my Friend via photos at various functions brings back warm memories. Give him a hug from me won't you?

Jack

Posts: 6 | Registered: 17 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anybody is going to the Festival of Books please look me up. I'll be in and around booth 635 (Vagabond Books) some time by 11:47 a.m. Weather permitting, I'll have on a black sport coat with a dragon lapel pin over a grey dress shirt.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Here is the best quote I heard today at the Festival of Books. M.G. Lord (look her up) introduced Ray to the lecture audience and she said, "We all know at what temperature paper burns but at what temperature does a Kendle melt?"

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
John,
It is about 310 degress farenheit. It dose not sound as good as FH 451.
P.S. What was that watch you were wearing?

Posts: 60 | Location: L.A. Ca. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewbaker:
John,
It is about 310 degress farenheit. It dose not sound as good as FH 451.
P.S. What was that watch you were wearing?

A Montblanc Summit (a modern watch, sorry)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
On Sunday, May 3rd, CART presents a tribute to Ray Bradbury and Norman Corwin on the occasion of Mr. Corwin's 99th birthday.

Scheduled to appear at this live presentation of Ray Bradbury's space tale, LEVIATHAN 99 are:

William SHATNER, Sean ASTIN,
Norman LLOYD, Samantha EGGAR,
Richard HERD, Walter KOENIG,
and H.M. WYNANT
Also John HARLAN, Robert LEGIONAIRE
and Sky McDOUGALL

Both Mr. Bradbury and Mr. Corwin
will attend the performance.

LEVIATHAN 99 will be presented at
2:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 3rd,
at the Writers Guild of America Theater,
135 South Doheny Drive, Beverly Hills.

Reservations required!

A limited number of tickets for this exclusive event are available for purchase through our box office link.

If you are a member in good standing of the Writers Guild or an invited guest of CART, complimentary seats for you and one guest are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

http://cartaudio.org/

Here is a reminder about today's ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME event. I know of a few board members who are flying in from across the country to attend. If you are one of them please make sure to say howdy.

John King Tarpinian