Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Martian Chronicles production
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Martian Chronicles production
 Login/Join

posted
Read all about it! World exclusive! On my website, here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I don't plan on an abridgment of content by any means. If we're going to do Martian Chronicles, we're going to DO Martian Chronicles."

Jerry, I like the way you think!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Parts of Martian Chronicles have been adapted for radio in the past (Dimension X and the like), but this is the first full adaptation. Because Colonial release their productions on CD (rather than for a fixed-length broadcast time slot), I suppose they have the luxury of making their shows whatever length they like. I can't imagine they'd go for a ten-hour production, but neither can I imagine a two-hour production doing full justice to the book.

Anyway, Jerry and his team have proved themselves with previous productions, so I have every faith in this one!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Me too!

Parts of Martian Chronicles have been adapted for radio in the past (Dimension X and the like), but this is the first full adaptation. Because Colonial release their productions on CD (rather than for a fixed-length broadcast time slot), I suppose they have the luxury of making their shows whatever length they like. I can't imagine they'd go for a ten-hour production, but neither can I imagine a two-hour production doing full justice to the book.

Five hours should just about do it. I'm a big proponent of adapting everything in a book. When I asked Ray about optioning Dandelion Wine a couple years ago, he said, "how will you do it John?" "Rip the pages out of the book and stuff them in the camera!", I replied. I actually did adapt one chapter to take to him and show him as an example of the way I'd treat it, but, it turns out, the Russians have more money than I do.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
..."Rip the pages out of the book and stuff them in the camera!", I replied...

You and Sam Peckinpah!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Sam's who I got it from!

"Live Forever!"

<cheapedhardy>
posted
[This entire post was full of spam advertising - dozens of links. Rather than delete the post, which renders some of the rest of the thread unintelligible, I have deleted the spammish content.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion, it looks like your "scrubbing" expertise is needed in this listing, as well as several others.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Monty Python fans...all together now: "SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and Ed Hardy means it!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ah hum...bumping for dandelion.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha, that's really funny cause I know Ed Hardy, we do artwork with him at work. There's a great documentary his friend Emiko made about him and his life, called "Tattoo the World". She filmed fly-arounds of people that had these beautiful tattoos that he did, like full body ones. Very interesting doc. He said that a lot of those people are no longer living, so that's the only record of the amazing tattoos he did for them.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to the proper topic of this thread: The Martian Chronicles audio adaptation from Colonial Radio Theatre.

Now available for pre-order from Amazon, to be released on 7 June:

http://www.amazon.com/Martian-...d=1296158507&sr=1-10

No cover art on Amazon, but Colonial have already released this image:

- Phil

posted Hide Post
This post reminds me of a question I have re the X Minus 1 version of Mars is Heaven. I thought Phil would be the man to ask.
In this radio version, there's an added character--Dr. Horst, who survived the concentration camp at Dachau. Is this Ernest Kinnoy's doing? I don't remember to what degree Mars is Heaven differed from The Third Expedition. (I have the former story somewhere in my collection, so I'm being a bit lazy here...) I'd be curious to know how involved Ray was with the various OTR radio scripts, if at all, or what he thought of them.
There is a moment in this X Minus 1 version that I quite liked: when the men have figured out what is going on, the crickets in the background suddenly stop chirping....
Finally, I found this on the net, regarding a funny sound effect screw-up: (scroll down to
March 2004- "Tribute to Sci-Fi Writers" featuring Exploring Tomorrow: Isaac Asimov's "The Liar", X-Minus One: Ray Bradbury's "Mars is Heaven")
http://webcache.googleusercont...=ca&client=firefox-a

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post