Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Humor/Irony in Bradbury stories?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humor/Irony in Bradbury stories?
 Login/Join

posted
I love a twist, something in the attic, someone with different innards. Fun Fungi, wax bullets that kill with a smile. Lip readers in restraunts. Blessed Chocolate.
Late night trips to moors to test old bar room tales. Brass beds that sing arias.
So many times I have tickled inside from the
Mans wit, about as many times as he has made me wonder, cringe or desire more of myself.
He is very keen at observing the human condition, and pointing out our foibles in a most apt precision that is right on the mark.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon can't anyone remember a specific moment of mirth?

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good point, Uncle!

While reading Death is A Lonely Business this summer (camping in the wilderness of Quebec Province, of all places), I continually found myself laughing aloud because of his word choice in presenting descriptive similes and, of course, metaphors. The gumshoe plot afforded the ideal venue it seemed.

Much of my reading took place by the light of a camp fire or lantern and under the stars, so the combination of my actual setting and the book's setting made for a strange melding as the pages turned.

I simply remember the images being hilarious. I will return to post a few after revisiting some of the especially noteworthy verbal gems the novel included.

Mars, witches, the future, dreams, society, writing, art, life and death, family, technology...on and on! Yes, good old fashion humor - he gets it ALL precisely.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 11-12-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the whole House of Usher part of Martian Chronicles was pretty funny...all those Poe quotes, so from Cask of Amontillado to the fall of the house of usher

Posts: 9 | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Greg, I didn't like to admit it, but the two I probably laughed at the most were "Usher II" and "The Murderer" although they aren't funny. For a genuinely funny story try "Exorcism" from "Dandelion Wine."

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post