Ray Bradbury Forums
Humor/Irony in Bradbury stories?

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/6991036901

09 November 2002, 03:36 PM
SethD105
Humor/Irony in Bradbury stories?
I love a twist, something in the attic, someone with different innards. Fun Fungi, wax bullets that kill with a smile. Lip readers in restraunts. Blessed Chocolate.
Late night trips to moors to test old bar room tales. Brass beds that sing arias.
So many times I have tickled inside from the
Mans wit, about as many times as he has made me wonder, cringe or desire more of myself.
He is very keen at observing the human condition, and pointing out our foibles in a most apt precision that is right on the mark.
12 November 2002, 04:44 PM
SethD105
C'mon can't anyone remember a specific moment of mirth?
12 November 2002, 05:16 PM
fjpalumbo
Good point, Uncle!

While reading Death is A Lonely Business this summer (camping in the wilderness of Quebec Province, of all places), I continually found myself laughing aloud because of his word choice in presenting descriptive similes and, of course, metaphors. The gumshoe plot afforded the ideal venue it seemed.

Much of my reading took place by the light of a camp fire or lantern and under the stars, so the combination of my actual setting and the book's setting made for a strange melding as the pages turned.

I simply remember the images being hilarious. I will return to post a few after revisiting some of the especially noteworthy verbal gems the novel included.

Mars, witches, the future, dreams, society, writing, art, life and death, family, technology...on and on! Yes, good old fashion humor - he gets it ALL precisely.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 11-12-2002).]
15 November 2002, 12:33 PM
Greg Scott
I thought the whole House of Usher part of Martian Chronicles was pretty funny...all those Poe quotes, so from Cask of Amontillado to the fall of the house of usher
16 November 2002, 03:41 AM
dandelion
Well, Greg, I didn't like to admit it, but the two I probably laughed at the most were "Usher II" and "The Murderer" although they aren't funny. For a genuinely funny story try "Exorcism" from "Dandelion Wine."