Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Celebrations of Life
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Celebrations of Life
 Login/Join

posted
There are many events planned. I will be using this thread to post information about them as they are firmed up.

I'll start with the first one that has the date already set. Comic-Con is planning a tribute to Ray on Thursday, July 12 from 11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm..we were planning to go down there on Friday, I wonder if I could manage to get another day of...something to think about.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Hmm..we were planning to go down there on Friday, I wonder if I could manage to get another day of...something to think about.

I hope you can make it. I was not even going to go this year, too sad. But now there is no way I can stay away.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting this, but it seems an appropriate place to put it.

On Monday 18th June I am presenting a paper on Bradbury's MARTIAN CHRONICLES screenplays at the CRSF (Current Research in Speculative Fiction) conference in Liverpool, England.

And between 28th-30th June I will be attending the SFRA (Science Fiction Research Association) conference in Detroit, Michigan. I will be on a panel discussing Bradbury's work (including the CHRONICLES screenplays again), alongside Prof Jon Eller of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies and Dr Adam Frisch, former president of SFRA.

All of the above was planned before Ray left us, but are likely to take on a different tone and significance now that he is no longer with us.

Both CRSF and SFRA conferences have admission fees, so I wouldn't expect people to turn up just for the Bradbury bits, but if anyone here happens to be going to either event, please make a point of saying hello and joining in the discussion.

I'm also working with the organisers of the SFRA conference to add a special tribute event to the SFRA programme, which is likely to consist of a screening of selected short films based on Ray's work.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil:

Would it be possible to see a copy of your paper on The Martian Chronicles screenplays? I suspect there's a lot on interest in this neck of the woods on the subject and your work.

Ray lives!

Many thanks,

Ken Engel

Posts: 25 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 29 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Engel:
...Would it be possible to see a copy of your paper on The Martian Chronicles screenplays?...

If I finish writing it... Ask me again after the events, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your interest!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks in advance, Phil.
Ken

Posts: 25 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 29 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting this, but it seems an appropriate place to put it.

On Monday 18th June I am presenting a paper on Bradbury's MARTIAN CHRONICLES screenplays at the CRSF (Current Research in Speculative Fiction) conference in Liverpool, England.

And between 28th-30th June I will be attending the SFRA (Science Fiction Research Association) conference in Detroit, Michigan. I will be on a panel discussing Bradbury's work (including the CHRONICLES screenplays again), alongside Prof Jon Eller of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies and Dr Adam Frisch, former president of SFRA.

All of the above was planned before Ray left us, but are likely to take on a different tone and significance now that he is no longer with us.

Both CRSF and SFRA conferences have admission fees, so I wouldn't expect people to turn up just for the Bradbury bits, but if anyone here happens to be going to either event, please make a point of saying hello and joining in the discussion.

I'm also working with the organisers of the SFRA conference to add a special tribute event to the SFRA programme, which is likely to consist of a screening of selected short films based on Ray's work.

Oh please promote any upcoming event. With Ray having left us way too soon it is nice that people know of events in other parts of the country or the world.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Further to my earlier post, I can confirm that the SFRA programme will indeed have a tribute to Ray as the last session of the conference (4pm-5pm on the Saturday). I will be presenting a compilation of clips from various documentaries about Ray and some short films.

In fact, the conference will be topped and tailed with Bradbury, as the discussion panel will be the FIRST session of the conference (on the Friday morning), and the film show will be the LAST session.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
This was a celebration of life!

Augh, this video's all blurry now.

Must be from watching it through tears.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfly:
This was a celebration of life!

Augh, this video's all blurry now.

Must be from watching it through tears.

A PG-13 version is being prepared so as to receive a broader audience.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Memorial Potluck at the Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society for Ray.

http://www.lasfsinc.info/index...07&day=07&Itemid=185

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Ray would have hated the censorship!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Ray would have hated the censorship!

Yes, but kids should be able to hear it.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I'm sure kids know how to hear the original, uncut version. The new version will be for the parents and teachers!

- Phil