Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 25

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all. So, we had a staff meeting at work today and my boss Tory used the word "verve". It's such a positive exuberant word that I have chosen it as my word of the day. Anyone else? Sux? Oh I forgot, we already saw your word....

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Verve" Records. I had a Velvet Underground LP on that label long ago - with Lou Reed, and John Cale, I believe.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask if there was a band by that name, I thought there was. I guess thats what I was thinking of.

Guffaw is another good word, haven't heard anybody guffaw recently.

How about punctiliously?

Your turn Doug, I'm sleepy...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket,

there is (or was) a band called The Verve. They had a massive hit ten years ago (in the UK, at least) with a song called "Bittersweet Symphony".

I like to guffaw, but I also like a good chortle.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, I chuckled when I read chortled. Thanks for Verve info.

posted Hide Post
Actually Greg and Phil I was flummoxed when I read your posts!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say, Phil, have you ever been to
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH

You mean "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"?

I've never been there. Phil Nic?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adler is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flummoxed is a good one Biplane.

You addled me with that one, Doug. Are you making up words again? Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
You addled me with that one, Doug.

It's an inside joke.

But it is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
OK, here's one from the great Bob Elliot:
What is the only word in the English language that contains 3 consecutive dotted letters?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH is a good word.

No, I've never been there. But I hear the sign at the railway station is longer than the platform.

[Translation for American readers: the sign at the railroad station is longer than the track.]

That word with three consecutive dotted letters could be Yiiipeeeeee!!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. BrII, maybe, "a salutation to bad luck."

Here is an easy one ~
A woorrdd that has three consecutive different letters doubled, other than "yiippee."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, ya mean "bookkeeper"?

Nobody's guessed mine yet...