Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
cacophony
Gr. kakos, kaka: bad + phono-: sound

And tinntinnabulation!

".... what a great word: tinntinnabulation"
-R.B.

I found these great words about the same time in high school. Fun.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and then there is a....
SEPTUAGENARIAN

That's what Ray used to be.

What do they call it when you are hitting 87?

...an OCTOGENERIAN
(Well, at least it has something like OCTOBER in the word!)

Just how high do these age definitions go?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S...U...M. . .m. . .e . . . r . . .

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
chimera

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mockery

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
floccipaucinihilipilification

And (because to-the-point people are sometimes neater than phony intellectuals) Helen Gurley Brown's version of same:

pippypoo

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dragonfly,
Believe it or not, floccipaucinihilipilification
already came up some time ago!
Of course, that doesn't stuctify its being posted again!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, are you trying to say that it doesn't nullify that other long word being used?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, I am sorry to report this but I checked the word stuctify on Dictionary.com and it said that there were no listings for such a word.

Where might you have come across it?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1: WHAT? You do not have the
"BRALING II FUNDAMENTAL DICTIONARY"

Besides that, I do believe structify (a slightly different spelling)...may be a computer gaming word. Maybe!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
APPY-POLLY-LOGIES TO ALL!

A rare Braling II typo there.
The word is stultify!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
catachresis

posted Hide Post
Boy, am I relieved!!!!

posted Hide Post
Sesquipedelian.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fear of long words.

As it is referred to in the medical community:
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia