Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Story Listings
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Story Listings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hello again, dandelion!

Thank you for the correction; you are right, "A Summer Day" was retitled and collected in QUICKER THAN THE EYE.

By the way, do you know why BRADBURY BITS & PIECES: THE RAY BRADBURY BIBLIOGRAPHY: 1974-88 was never done? I understand the book was supposed to be a definite sequel/supplement to THE RAY BRADBURY COMPANION and planned release around 1992.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, but I think it might still be being worked on. Obviously I need to contact Donn with some questions as soon as I get a chance.

Of those listed above as "Need, Don't Have," I have acquired "Hollerbochen's Dilemma" and "The Undead Die." I've given up on "Love Contest" and "They Knew What They Wanted" being collected and plan to photocopy the magazine versions next time at the library. As for the others, I am still in the market for all except those which appeared in
the latest, 100 Stories collection.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 03-26-2004).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bits and pieces:

�gThe Affluence of Despair�h is, I think, a non-fiction piece. It was printed first time in Wall Street Journal April 3rd, 1998 (83 lines of text).

�gThe Beautiful Shave�h is a complete version of �gThe Execution�h (a story fragment) which appeared in Xenophile #36 [November] 1977.

�gThe Hour of Ghosts�h is an AT&T ad story. Thus it appeared various magazines at almost the same time then e.g. Harper�fs Magazine November 1969.

�gMomento Mori�h appeared in an anthology �gGATHERING THE BONES�h August 2003. Likely a first printing.

Appreciate your double-checking in due course.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me as if "The Beautiful Shave" and "The Execution" were two different stories.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I always appreciate your comments, dandelion.

BTW, I have read somewhere Ray once had been planning to write a STORY called "Leviathan 99" (I believe it is relative to "That Ghost-That Bride of Time"). I wonder it's been finished...

posted Hide Post
It is possible I may be of some help here. I spent a number of years researching and collecting many of these stories. Of course the Futuria Fantasia, The Damn Thing, Script and other fanzine stories are very difficult to track down (and very expensive when you do manage to find one), however, I have amassed a modest 55/91.

I put my collection on hold when my daughter was born, but recently unearthed "Hollerbochen's Dilemma" and now my interest is growing.

What do I collect? I collect short stories that never appeared in a RAY BRADBURY book. In other words, "The Ducker" was originally published in Weird Tales (Nov, 1943) but was not included in Dark Carnival or any Bradbury anthology. It was, however, included in a short story collection titled Weird Legacies edited by Mike Ashley in 1977 (Star).

I understand my list of these types of stories is out of date (by 5 years now) but I believe the list I have is fairly comprehensive.

I would love to compare notes. Also, I have always argued with myself over the ethical nature of trading copies of these stories. I have battled the temptation to run a photocopy of a story and trade with another collector. Why?? Because they are uncommon and finding them is like finding diamonds in the snow...

oh, and they are not being reprinted (yet).

Thank you for letting me post!

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have any not named by me in the post above?

posted Hide Post
quite a few actually...

of course my list is about 5 years old and some of these stories may have been published (i know a few were in One More For the Road) maybe you can help me figure out what, if any, they are and where these can be found.

here is what i have on my list that you did not have listed:

The Death of Mr. McCarthy
Remembrance
Tread Lightly to the Music
Mummy Dust (as Cecil Clayborne Cunningham)
Return From Death (as Anthony Carvais)
They Symphonic Abduction (as anonymous)
A Wild Night In Galway
From the Dust Returned
The Offering
These Things Happen
Asleep In Armageddon (Perchance to Dream)
Where's Lefty?
A Summer Day (1979)
The Silence (Super Science Stories, 1949)
Referent (as Brett Sterling)
The Sea Shell
The Execution

ok... send me an email if you want publication/year information.

also, if you want a list of the stories i have copies of, let me know and i will get you what i have and what i am looking for!

it would be awesome to have a database of this stuff. i started a php/mysql website to help track this stuff. it would be great to include all stories and poems. a monumental task! maybe don is the key??

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry... my email:

djmonolith@yahoo.com

posted Hide Post
djmonolith,

you have listed one or two titles that are unfamiliar. Would you care to take a look at my list: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/storiesDB.htm

You will see that I already have some of your titles listed. I would like the publication details of the missing ones. I'm on the same mission as you!

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remembrance

Unless this is "different material, same title," this is a poem and shouldn't appear on the short story list.

Tread Lightly to the Music

Not Uncollected. Published as "Getting Through Sunday Somehow" in "Long After Midnight."

Return From Death (as Anthony Carvais)
The Symphonic Abduction (as anonymous)

Both written by Hannes Bok and falsely attributed to Bradbury.

A Wild Night In Galway

Not Uncollected. Appears as part of "Green Shadows, White Whale."

From the Dust Returned

Not Uncollected. Appears as part of "From the Dust Returned."

These Things Happen

Not Uncollected. Published as "A Story of Love" in "Long After Midnight."

Asleep In Armageddon (Perchance to Dream)

Not Uncollected. Published in "The Day it Rained Forever" (the story collection, not the play.)

A Summer Day (1979)

Not uncollected. Expanded as "Hopscotch" in "Quicker than the Eye."

Referent (as Brett Sterling)

Not Uncollected. Published in "The Day it Rained Forever" (the story collection, not the play.)

The Sea Shell

Not Uncollected. Published in the "Dark Carnival" reissue.

The Execution

Not Uncollected. Printed in "Quicker than the Eye."

it would be awesome to have a database of this stuff. i started a php/mysql website to help track this stuff. it would be great to include all stories and poems. a monumental task! maybe don is the key??

Yes, Donn is working on a "Ray Bradbury Companion" update. Have not been in touch with Donn for awhile and don't know at what stage this is.

posted Hide Post
The Death of Mr. McCarthy
Mummy Dust (as Cecil Clayborne Cunningham)
The Offering
Where's Lefty?
The Silence (Super Science Stories, 1949)

Watch this space. I've updated the list only as far as "100 of His Most Celebrated Tales." I do have "One More for the Road" but not "Cat's Pajamas" yet, and need to check them for these.

posted Hide Post
Except for Where's Lefty, I think these have all been mentioned before (they've gotten into my list somehow, so it's either from here or from Contento).

Publication details for Where's Lefty, anyone?

The contents of Cat's Pajamas have been listed on the board somewhere; also available here.

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 07-25-2004).]

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

are you sure The Execution is in Quicker Than The Eye? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I have a story called The ELECTROCUTION.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Awesome work... I can't wait to check all this!!! My list will surely shrink. I had no idea about the Hannes Bok information... how did you find out about that??

Quicker Than the Eye has a story titled "The Electrocution" - not "The Execution"...

Never trust the actual titles in the Contents Menu - always check the publication information... it will tell you if story titles have been previously published and if titles have been re-named. I have The Cat's Pajamas and have already checked... the only previously published story is A Careful Man Dies which, as we all know, was published in A Memory of Murder.

"Where's Lefty" - Playboy, March, 1991

As far as the other stuff, I don't doubt your research, I always like to see it with my own eyes. My list was put together by research and not by trusting other lists so I think it bothers me a bit that I missed all these!!! But I am very thankful for your hard work. Indeed!

I will post later today and a new master list should be included here! Maybe in alphabetical order with publishing information.