Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    On This Day in History
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On This Day in History
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Sam Weller has been tweeting about Fahrenheit 451 all month to celebrate the anniversary. We hope to put all of the tweets up on his blog very soon. It's been a lot of fun with some cool insights and photos.

Twitter handle is: @Sam__Weller

Posts: 71 | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably been posted here before, but never mind: FAHRENHEIT 451 recounted in animation in under three minutes:

http://academicearth.org/elect...tldr-fahrenheit-451/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born 1928: Mickey Mouse (cartoon character)

1928: The animated short, Steamboat Willie, was released featuring Mickey Mouse

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Ray B published THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (a work of sheer poetry) Aldous Huxley told him this: “Mr Bradbury, do you know what you are?” Ray replied "What am I?" "You’re a poet.”

Huxley was amongst the first to see it. Fifty years ago today Aldous Huxley died.

-------

Fifty years ago today, Major Warren Lewis was in The Kilns, the Oxford home he shared with his brother, Jack. At 5.30 PM he heard a loud thump from the next room. It was his brother, sometimes known as C. S. Lewis, the great apologist, science fiction writer, fantasist, scholar and broadcaster, dead of a heart attack one week shy of his sixty-fifth birthday.

-------

Fifty years ago today a young man woke up and caught his regular ride to work. He was carrying a wrapped oblong package - "curtain rods”. Some hours later shots rang out of a lonely window of the school book depository and history was changed. This was Dallas, and this was the end of Camelot.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a busy day THAT was. And the following day: DR WHO was broadcast for the very first time!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone here alive 50 years ago? I was two and don't remember the events.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same as you, dandy: alive, but too young to remember.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I turn 60 in August next year (two days earlier than Ray's birthday), so I'm old enough to remember.

I was 9 at the time, and had not yet taken a regular interest in the papers, but on Saturday morning I was sleeping late, when my mom came to the foot of the bed and held up the newspaper. It was The Cape Times, and the banner headline was KENNEDY SHOT DEAD. My mother told me that they had headlines like that only when something very important happens (which was true back then - now, not so much).

Over the years, the memory has stuck with me, and I've read a great deal about the events, including Stephen King's novel 11/22/63, which is brilliant and certainly worth your time even if you're not particularly interested in the subject - but even more so if you are.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walt Disney passed away on this day in 1966. When Ray was called by a reporter to get his reaction Ray was not at home. He was with his daughters...at Disneyland.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blues Great, Charlie Musselwhite celebrates his 70th yr. today!
Here a classic musical piece by Mr. Musselwhite:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ra7_Pt5DTI

Enjoy!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four young men from Liverpool, England, arrive in New York City - 50 years ago today. What were their names again ?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A group of plain ordinary folks in a small southern town became kind of interested in a peculiar little jar:

http://bradburymedia.blogspot....s-ago-today-jar.html

- Phil

posted Hide Post
One of my favorite early RB tales and AH episodes. Long before an ingredients label was required on the container!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iwC_...lkRd9avM/s1600/3.jpg

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
A group of plain ordinary folks in a small southern town became kind of interested in a peculiar little jar...

I watched it tonight at 10 PM, myself. Pitch-perfect Southern Gothic, and, oh - that ensemble of players!

My favourite part (aside from the chilling ending): George Lindsey's recollection of his kitties. Goober was never better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this day in 1969, the Woodstock Music Festival opened on a patch of farmland in White Lake, a hamlet in the upstate New York town of Bethel with... Freedom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1B9ktRCkg

~ and closed with... The Star Spangled Banner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzZh6-h9fM

Richie and Jimi - Peace!