Ray Bradbury Hompage    raybradburyboard.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Happy Birthday
Page 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Birthday
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Happy 93rd birthday to one of our finest (and one of my favorite) actors, Sidney Poitier. I would be hard-pressed to name a single Poitier film as my favorite, but I especially admire his performances in THE DEFIANT ONES, LILLIES OF THE FIELD and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Poitier

Posts: 1011 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Do you like green eggs and ham? I do not like them, Sam-I-am."

Happy 116th birthday to everyone's favorite childhood author, Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, who was born on March 2, 1904. His books are truly timeless.

posted Hide Post
Happy 86th birthday to the great actor Alan Arkin, who was born on March 26, 1934. Mr. Arkin won an Oscar for his performance in LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, but my personal favorite is the 1979 comedy THE IN-LAWS ("Serpentine!"). A little known fact is that Mr. Arkin also wrote a few science fiction stories: "Whiskaboom", which appeared in the August, 1955 issue of Galaxy, and "People Soup", which appeared in the November, 1958 issue of that same magazine. The latter story was reprinted in a 1980 hardcover anthology, GALAXY: THIRTY YEARS OF INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FICTION. In his introduction to "People Soup" which appeared in that anthology, Mr. Arkin wrote: "The events in the story are probably fictional, but I won't swear to it."

posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info on Alan Arkin, Richard! I didn't know that at all.

And Galaxy was one of the great science fiction magazines, so he had them published in a "proper" SF publication, too!

Posts: 646 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post