Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by biplane1:
Actually for many years I was in denial. My poor wife would get scared when I would quit breathing at night. She would elbow me and I would start breathing again. After many fitfull nights for her and inadequate sleep for me as I was always tired during the day I went in for a sleep study and it confirmed that I suffered from Sleep Apnea.[QUOTE]

As the other partner in a house with a CPAP spouse, I can attest to the benefits to both the person with Sleep Apnea and the other spouse! My wife had polio, and is, therefore, a post-polio survivor, and others with the disorder have advocated the use of Bi-PAP rather than CPAP, since it losers the pressure on the exhalation compared to the inhalation. Now, if only I can get my wife to admit that she has Post Poio Syndrome, maybe I can get her to use the Bi-PAP and awake with less discomfortfrom the air that gets into the stomach during the night. I bet a lot of marriages have been saved by the CPAP machine?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get details on the IT from Braling II's post here:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000109

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to click on the Halloween Recipe photo, also. What a blast! (BrII's original link, The Art of Coke and Mentos! Who would have every thought?) All in the name of science.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
... Who would have every thought?...

I suppose that would be God. Omniscient, omnipresent, etc.

Sorry, fjp451, that was that rarety: a typo which produces a meaningful yet bizarre sentence!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: "God knows" I wanted to edit that. But it is your astute response, and the laugh I got from it, that lets the post stand as is. Nice!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Serendipitous there, Butch!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, BII! Because of your link to Mr. Spangler, I now have sticky soda stuff and pumpkin parts all over my computer screen and keyboard! Thanks a lot!

(BTW: his son Jack is great! http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000055 )

posted Hide Post
Ah, Miscellaneous. Where in this vast universe of postings would any of us be without 'miscellaneous'?!

Just finished watching Turner Classic Movie interview with filmstar Betty Hutton. It was actually done some 6 yrs. ago. And with film clips interspersed, it's one for the classroom of those high schoolers who think they know everything. It's about Betty Hutton the super star of screen and now, about 80 yrs. old, hardly a mere moment resemblance to her younger self. Watching this interview forces one to find the answers to what is the purpose of mankind if it all piles onto the trash heap of old age and a rundown, runover history. So what the legacy, or if one survives a 3rd World War should there be one...if it all just...whittles away, bottom line, to graves.

Here is this beautiful Betty Hutton. And at the same time there is Betty Hutton a stranger from years of drought in her life and battles against the grim reaper. Ah, but in this interview, Betty explains, of how Christ 'in her' is the hope she never had. Oh, she said, if only she realized the wonders of a living Jesus Christ dwelling in her when she was a young actress. How different things would be.

And I thought...that's it:
...that's the great play, the great film, or the great book of the future...how wretched human actors and writers and screenplayers discover [not know, but discover] for the first time that thru death Christ was enabled to breathe forth his life and that life is the life that keeps living everything that has life. Christ withdrawn, all creation would fall into hellish ruins. Bradbury hasn't discovered that yet. He calls it his mother speaking, or father sitting on porch steps bringing forth wonders of conversation into the summer air...but...not years ago...but now...eternal...always there. But what in fact is eternal, THAT which we call eternal?It is Christ himself. Betty discovered that. CS Lewis discovered that. I could make a list that would scroll and scroll with names.

The final story has not been written, on this day, in this year of 2006. Ray still gets up in the morning and still fiddles with voices in his head, feeding the loudest bird that sings to be heard. Maybe someday, the Holy Spirit will announce himself fully. And that speech, which is beyond our ability to comprehend in our natural, will profoundly utter to Ray without regard to our fallen condition.
===============================

=====Thoughts late at night, Tuesday into Wednesday, 1:30 am Los Angeles time====

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the same interview and was happy to see that she has been comforted. She is a lovely person. Still “a vitamin pill with legs’—in the interview at any rate.

Your perceptions of the interview are interesting but it sounds like you need sleep. Let the Shepard watch over you, friend, and sleep. Then continue your works later, refreshed.

God bless!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell: Bradbury hasn't discovered that yet. It is Christ himself. Maybe someday, the Holy Spirit will announce himself fully.

Thought-provoking - the greatest literary talent + the greatest god in the universe! What a mixture!

Truly, you can...

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31: Your perceptions of the interview are interesting but it sounds like you need sleep.

Perhaps, but I find the most creative thoughts sometimes come whilst you are meeting sleep halfway, whether coming or going!

That's your subconscience talking - your conscience without the baggage!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31

Your use ofthe term comforted would be the wrong use since you seem to denote a different "comfort" than the comfort of knowing Christ. The comfort you seem to be referring to is a comfort one derives from something that settles the nerves, like yoga. Also having tuned in the interview, Hutton said something that probes the question of authenticity of the use of the word comfort as you have used it, when she talked about realizing that Christ was in her but she did not recognize him in early years. If Christ be God, and man is made in his image, then the actuality of discovering Christ is discovering who you are and nothing less. And that is the comfort that Hutton was speaking of.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, The Lord Jesus Christ is the best cure for nerves I ever heard of. Other than that I won’t go further except to say that not everyone’s understanding of Christianity is the same. The perpendicular pronoun is not one that I associate much with it (although I perceive that most do) and that it’s not what God can do for you but what you can do for God and thus for his creations.

Grace and peace, friend.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...not looking to overly belabor the point, but a basic reason why everyone's understanding of the gospel is not the same is because it's very offensive to many people: Die to self; You are born a sinner; No one gets to heaven but by Christ; No one comes to the Father except thru Christ; Christ said you must be as perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect in order to inherit the kingdom of God.

Those cut to the heart of 'self.' Here is another: if you love your mother or father or family more than you do me (Christ), you are not worthy of the kingdom of God.

Self is always the issue. Don't want to go beneath the veneer of the soul, well, guess what...there is a church down the street that'll cater to your needs. Don't want to deal with this or that...lookie here, a church o'er there that'll fit the bill. And so, people's concept of Christianity is different.

About doing something for God. Christ said without me you can do nothing. Again, a self issue. He was around, both inside and outside of time, forever. Us specks fall into that old story: God made man in His image, and man decided to return the favor.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of one of my two favourite sayings (the other is below).

Aristotle said, and C. S. Lewis repeated the line that suggests why humans are so slow to pick up on the truth:

"As bats' eyes are to daylight, so is our intellectual eye blind to those truths that are most obvious of all."

Spiritual truths are the most obvious truths, but what we don't realize is that we are trying to look at them through faulty eyes. Once the deep truth settles in good and proper, we'll realize that we are living in the shadowlands and real life hasn't begun yet.

Lewis also said that if horses had gods, they would all look like horses!

Truly we have come full circle and created God in our image!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"