Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray's House
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's House
 Login/Join

posted
I just found out from William F. Nolan's FB that Ray's house is being sold. Is there a group, fan club perhaps, that could organize and raise funds to preserve it? Perhaps turn it into a museum? I'd hate to see it sold and changed.

Here's a link to the article at Curbed.com: http://la.curbed.com/archives/..._hits_the_market.php

Posts: 4 | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Toni,

we've had a little discussion of this under the "Ruled Paper - A Miscellany of Topics" thread. As it's not easy to post a direct link to those posts, I'll just re-paste my own thoughts on this topic here:

-------------------------
I've no objection to anyone here buying it, but since Doug asked for a pragmatist:

It's an empty house. None of Ray's possessions are there anymore.

His papers and ALL OF HIS FAMOUS BASEMENT OFFICE were bequeathed to Don Albright, who in turn has gifted most of them to the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies (run by Jon Eller, author of BECOMING RAY BRADBURY). The plan is to reconstruct Ray's office as an exhibit that people can go and see; while his papers will be available to anyone wanting to research Ray's works, life etc.

Meanwhile, Ray's library was bequeathed to the Waukegan Public Library.

Personal effects, I assume, went to the family. Valuable items such as original artwork have been put up for auction. Awards and "professional" memorabilia have gone to the Center for RB studies.

Rather than buy an empty house, and then spend further millions to fill it with replicas of Ray's possessions, I would prefer people to contribute to existing plans to continue Ray's legacy. The Center for RB Studies has the artefacts, but needs funds to be able to do the preservation and reconstruction work. If you want to give money, give it to the Center.

More info on this here!

----------------------------

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil.

I'm glad that the office is being reconstructed. That's the most important part of the house anyway. The house is really not in an ideal location for a museum anyway. I just know how important his work and he was to so many people, me included. I couldn't imagine there not being a place to honor him. You have set my mind at ease.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome!

If you are a Facebook user, make sure you "like" the Bradbury Center. That way you will see any updates on the Center's projects.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone could always buy it with the hope that Ray was haunting it Smiler

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Someone could always buy it with the hope that Ray was haunting it Smiler

He probably will be now!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toni Stauffer:
I just found out from William F. Nolan's FB that Ray's house is being sold. Is there a group, fan club perhaps, that could organize and raise funds to preserve it? Perhaps turn it into a museum? I'd hate to see it sold and changed.

That would have been nice, but it didn't happen.

And now, for the Quote of the Day:

"Hey, I don't feel like being subtle regarding these assholes who bought Ray's house just to tear it down. Let me say this. Clearly and simply: FUCK YOU!"

~ William F Nolan

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Doug, for reactivating this thread.

As of now, the home's realtor listing is still online, but since (alas!) the house was not there forever, neither will the realtor listing be, so I copied the description and all the pictures to my computer and will share them here, ending with the picture and quote I shared on the Venice home thread 'cause it's that good!

I had to copy and paste the description from the Realtor listing as I couldn't figure out how to copy the whole page. NOTE: The names are of the people who sold the house, not of the people who bought it, so please don't picket them. If I knew the names of the idiots who bought it, I wouldn't post them, but I wouldn't delete them if someone else did, and if anyone wants to picket them, I am fine with that.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

10265 Cheviot Drive is perhaps Cheviot Hill's most important address. For more than half a century it was home to Ray Bradbury, one of the most celebrated, beloved authors of our time. This charming traditional features a grand living room with soaring vaulted ceilings, classic brick fireplace, large bay window allowing soft California light to flood in across original hardwood floors and custom built-ins; formal dining room for proper entertaining with detailed crown moldings, expertly crafted wainscoting and wood shuttered windows; 3 generously sized en-suite guest bedrooms; maid's quarters on the main floor; expansive grounds with a large front yard as well as backyard to retreat to the outdoors in a secluded environment and a surprisingly spacious basement where he chose to write daily. A beautiful property with an important cultural provenance, come see where so many great works of fiction were conceived. A tremendous opportunity to begin a new chapter in its storied history.

Property Type
Residential, Single Family
View
Park/Green Belt
County
Los Angeles
Style
Split-Level, Traditional
Community
Cheviot Hills
MLS#
14-760515
Source

TheMLS
Listing provided courtesy of

Rory Posin, RE/MAX ESTATE PROPERTIES
DRE #01030819
Buyer's Agent

John Michael Cockinos, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
DRE #01267199

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post