Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 160

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruled Paper II- A Miscellany Of Topics.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nico
Does anyone really care about people 2 billion years from now? Come on! Sorry to say this, but we're not going to make it. Not you. Not myself. Good shot, maybe 80 years. Ninety heading towards hundred? Unlikely. Possible. But not likely. And how much do you really care about those just a hundred years from now? Anymore than those a hundred years ago think about you? Or me?
So to say 2 billion years from now it'll all be figured out is incomprehensible. No society last very long. No culture last very long. No anything last very long, except the mighty cockroach. Go figure.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Does anyone really care about people 2 billion years from now?

That's very Republican of you!

I think that as human beings, we certainly better care about our offspring!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to say this, but we're not going to make it. Not you. Not myself. Good shot, maybe 80 years. Ninety heading towards hundred? Unlikely. Possible. But not likely.

I'm afraid I don't understand this series of comments at all.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't understand this series of comments at all.

Spaulding, and you expect to understand the finer things of theology? (Shh! But I'll let you in on a secret: Go back two or three postings.)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm tired of our being taunted and called hillbilly for living way out in the boonies in this obscure arm of the galaxy. They laugh at us behind our backs you know. I say, let it happen, merge, merge! Maybe finally, we'll learn a little something called love. I guess if we called it The Milky Andromeda, someone would take offense!? By the way, has anyone read that book called The World Without Us by Weisman? I think I am going to take my twenty percent off coupon and buy it from borders as I tried to check it out of the library and there was thirty people waiting on the list for it to be returned. Sounds really good, is about after we the human species is either obliterated by our own hands or some other calamity. After we are gone, it tells how everything we left behind disintegrates and what goes first, how long etc. Also, about how nature bounces back and the Earth once more reverts back to an eden.

When this happens, I want my cells to be remixed as a hummingbird, no thats too hyper stressful, perhaps a butterfly.....

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Why should we put ourselves out of our way to do anything for posterity; for what has posterity done for us?"
- Sir Boyle Roche

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
When this happens, I want my cells to be remixed as a hummingbird, no thats too hyper stressful, perhaps a butterfly.....

A butterfly? And risk being squished by a careless time-traveller, thus altering future history and leading to the election of a fascistic regime? What a burden of responsibility!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nico
Does anyone really care about people 2 billion years from now? Come on! Sorry to say this, but we're not going to make it. Not you. Not myself. Good shot, maybe 80 years. Ninety heading towards hundred? Unlikely. Possible. But not likely. And how much do you really care about those just a hundred years from now? Anymore than those a hundred years ago think about you? Or me?
So to say 2 billion years from now it'll all be figured out is incomprehensible. No society last very long. No culture last very long. No anything last very long, except the mighty cockroach. Go figure.

You should have spied my "if"!

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico, you mean something like what is is ?

posted Hide Post
quote:
A butterfly? And risk being squished by a careless time-traveller, thus altering future history and leading to the election of a fascistic regime? What a burden of responsibility!

Phil,

There is a bakery near me that sells butterfly shaped cookies (biscuits). I always smile when I see them but am afraid to purchase one, for fear of altering the time-line by eating one.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

- Phil

Okay, your point is well taken. Maybe a very special dog that brings home to its owner clues to its whereabouts.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to gain a glimpse of what God feels about sin, those things that offend Him, think of Him crying over the plight of a single common crow bird who is starving, thin, and struggling to gain nourishment from a single strip of tired and dried sticky piece of candy on some street in some city where no one cares. Then think of what he must feel towards the proud who bring trouble to the life of the innocent.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:By the way, has anyone read that book called The World Without Us by Weisman? I think I am going to take my twenty percent off coupon and buy it from borders as I tried to check it out of the library and there was thirty people waiting on the list for it to be returned. Sounds really good, is about after we the human species is either obliterated by our own hands or some other calamity. After we are gone, it tells how everything we left behind disintegrates and what goes first, how long etc. Also, about how nature bounces back and the Earth once more reverts back to an eden.

History Channel did a show on this but I don't know about the Eden part.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion
Back to Eden? why certainly, dandelion. Those liberal minded geniuses have it all figured out. Mankind is gone and the animals once again love each other, a serpent crawls around on its belly looking for someone to destroy, there is a tree that grows that if anyone eats of it they'll die, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and all the other stuff as well. Just like in the beginning.

posted Hide Post
Or, the space aliens could just land and take over.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post